Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a coolant leak (green fluid)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the first time I took our M3LR to get a car wash there was what appeared to be a leak coming from underneath the glovebox. Scheduled a service appointment and they couldn’t recreate it so nothing was done. About every other car wash there would appear to be a leak, often somewhat green in color. One time, there wasn’t a leak until after I floored it and it was solidly green (pic attached).

Now, please see this thread… New 2022 Model 3 has "VCFRONT a192" issue

I’ve had this issue twice now and am somewhat certain the car has leaked so much coolant when I floor it, it shuts down if it is really hot outside. Support has been dismal at best as they won’t even let me speak to a tech.

What do you guys think?

Pic:
356851C6-B289-4B84-8D1E-FE1036F10277.jpeg

So, the first time I took our M3LR to get a car wash there was what appeared to be a leak coming from underneath the glovebox. Scheduled a service appointment and they couldn’t recreate it so nothing was done. About every other car wash there would appear to be a leak, often somewhat green in color. One time, there wasn’t a leak until after I floored it and it was solidly green (pic attached).

I’ve had this issue twice now and am somewhat certain the car has leaked so much coolant when I floor it, it shuts down if it is really hot outside. Support has been dismal at best as they won’t even let me speak to a tech.

What do you guys think?

Pic: View attachment 824213
Sure looks like coolant. Does it smell like coolant? I have not seen that, but sometimes I have had the faintest smell of coolant in the cabin. This is the first time I have even mentioned it to anyone. 🤔

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sure looks like coolant. Does it smell like coolant? I have not seen that, but sometimes I have had the faintest smell of coolant in the cabin. This is the first time I have even mentioned it to anyone. 🤔

Honestly, I didn’t think to smell it. But it has to be, right? Since you’ve been following along with that other issue Ive experienced twice now maybe we can make some sense of the issue.

BTW, this time that error code fixed itself somehow? I was able to open the doors and start the car to pull it in the garage about an hour and a half later. It was in the blistering 92* temp but the cabin cooling remained intact this time unlike the last. The tow driver was on the way and Tesla called me to tell me that if the 12v jump didn’t work I’d have to pay out of pocket for the tow, which I laughed at.

Honestly, I didn’t think to smell it. But it has to be, right? Since you’ve been following along with that other issue Ive experienced twice now maybe we can make some sense of the issue.

BTW, this time that error code fixed itself somehow? I was able to open the doors and start the car to pull it in the garage about an hour and a half later. It was in the blistering 92* temp but the cabin cooling remained intact this time unlike the last. The tow driver was on the way and Tesla called me to tell me that if the 12v jump didn’t work I’d have to pay out of pocket for the tow, which I laughed at.
Wish I could say I knew more about the HVAC/Octovalve system than I do. Mostly I know where the effing mice will get in.

Did you show this to the service center folks yet? It should get their attention.

Also, should I be leary of long term effects this may have on my battery? It’s been in the SC twice now and they’ve done nothing either time other than “update firmware”. I’m beginning to feel like we got a lemon.

Wish I could say I knew more about the HVAC/Octovalve system than I do. Mostly I know where the effing mice will get in.

Did you show this to the service center folks yet? It should get their attention.
Yes, they’ve seen the pic but haven’t done anything. I’m beginning to think these techs don’t know much about anything unless they can plug it in and have a computer tell them what the issue is.

Also, should I be leary of long term effects this may have on my battery? It’s been in the SC twice now and they’ve done nothing either time other than “update firmware”. I’m beginning to feel like we got a lemon.
I'd be documenting everything just like you have been doing. Not sure what else you can do at this point, unless you bring it to another service center.

It isn't right.

Reactions: phishphan
Got it. So disappointing. I guess I’ll consider us lucky these two issues weren’t just with my wife and kids in the car on the side of the interstate. Really making us rethink this whole EV thing but we’re in so deep now. Looks like we could get around $70k for it right now and might just go back to a Mercedes ICE for her vehicle. I mean we LOVE the car but in my 26 years of driving it is without a doubt the most unreliable vehicle I’ve owned at this point and that includes the clunkers I had in high school and college.

Let me tell you there is nothing quite as scary as having your car beeping and booping at you to pull over asap bc it’s about to shut down.

This sure looks like coolant to me. Burn some of it... should smell like maple syrup.

That said, "talk to the tech" isn't gonna happen at a busy service center. I don't think you're dealing with "these guys don't know what they're doing", I think your service center is just really busy and you'll have to wait in line.

Regarding reliability, have their been other problems as well? My M3 has been very reliable... your leak has nothing to do with EV vs ICE ... it's a leak. Probably rodents.

Good luck with this!

Coolant has a very distinct smell. If its happening when you go through the car wash, I think it is much more likely that it is from the car wash. The intake for the cabin HVAC is just below the windshield - it isn't far fetched to think water could get into the cabin through there. If that happened, the passenger footwell is exactly where I would expect to see it. That's where all the duct work is. If your car is low on coolant, you'll receive a warning about it - and there is nothing about a car wash that would cause it to spontaneously leak and then stop. Car washes use anti-freeze additives, dyes, scents, etc. Seeing green water in a car wash isn't that uncommon.

Coolant has a very distinct smell. If its happening when you go through the car wash, I think it is much more likely that it is from the car wash. The intake for the cabin HVAC is just below the windshield - it isn't far fetched to think water could get into the cabin through there. If that happened, the passenger footwell is exactly where I would expect to see it. That's where all the duct work is. If your car is low on coolant, you'll receive a warning about it - and there is nothing about a car wash that would cause it to spontaneously leak and then stop. Car washes use anti-freeze additives, dyes, scents, etc. Seeing green water in a car wash isn't that uncommon.
Good to know that Tesla coolant is blue.

Agree about the coolant smell. It's difficult not to notice, even a tiny amount.

Been through a lot of car washes and never got soap there, but that sure is where the fresh air intake is. Do you use car wash mode? Perhaps if you don't there is a baffle left open and that's what is letting soap/wax into the cabin. Your filters (in front of the passenger windscreen wiper in a plastic case) should be soaked if that's the case. Or, if one of the 2 screws that hold the filter case down is loose, you could be getting wash fluid in around the edge gasket.

What do you guys think?

Pic: View attachment 824213
Does it happen when it is raining outside and driving? Or only when at the car wash?

Try to replicate the issue yourself, by putting a hose to the car on the front passenger window and front cowl (windshield area). Then look if you see where the water can be getting in. Presume it’s from the cowl or firewall.

This sure looks like coolant to me. Burn some of it... should smell like maple syrup.

That said, "talk to the tech" isn't gonna happen at a busy service center. I don't think you're dealing with "these guys don't know what they're doing", I think your service center is just really busy and you'll have to wait in line.

Regarding reliability, have their been other problems as well? My M3 has been very reliable... your leak has nothing to do with EV vs ICE ... it's a leak. Probably rodents.

Good luck with this!
Check out the link in the OP. Our car has shutdown twice now while driving, both time while driving under similar conditions.

I always assumed it was fluid from the car wash until our M3 spontaneously shutdown twice under very similar circumstances. It still may be that as well but Tesla has tried to recreate that leak without success.

Does it happen when it is raining outside and driving? Or only when at the car wash?

Try to replicate the issue yourself, by putting a hose to the car on the front passenger window and front cowl (windshield area). Then look if you see where the water can be getting in. Presume it’s from the cowl or firewall.
Unfortunately it doesn’t really rain here. I will give this a shot.

Would be interesting if that green fluid is indeed soap from the carwash, but isn't the soap foamy? It's unfortunate that the color is exactly like coolant. I'd call the carwash to find out if their soap or other fluids are a coolant green.

Reactions: phishphan