TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is this a fair price?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Emvdl, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Emvdl

Emvdl Member

2015 Tesla Model S 70d. Its in excellent condition and has been maintained and serviced regularly at Tesla. It has 33400 miles. It includes the following:
    Autopilot
    Smart air suspension
    19" wheels and brand new tires
    Tinted windows
    Grey next gen seats
    Free Unlimited Charging

For 55000 ?

• Helpful x 1
  2. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

That's a pretty fair price, is it one owner and no accidents on the car fax?

3. Emvdl

Emvdl Member

He said there was a scratch repaired by a body shop approved by tesla on the driver side panel...

4. Kross

Kross Member

That's more than fair deal! Provided it's a clean Carfax. If it isn't you'll have a tough time with resale. Unless you're planning on keeping it a while, in which case, as long as repairs were done at certified Tesla shop (and there's records to show what was done), you're good.

I've been doing research (up until the last weekend) almost non-stop for the past month looking at those exact category of vehicles (2015+ Model S w/ AP1). And while I'm happy with what I ended up with, had I seen the deal you mentioned (if it has a clean Carfax and it's got colors I'd like), I would've jumped on it, in a second.

5. Emvdl

Emvdl Member

I guess I should jump on it? That's actually what I am searching too AP... how did you find yours?

6. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

ev-cpo.com/hunter/
    I used that..

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

8. xav-

xav- Member

$40k tops for the same car with 50k mile warranty 1 to 1.5 year from now. Quote me

9. Kross

Kross Member

I found mine at a non-Tesla dealership. By chance. Via Autotrader.com.

Someone traded it in, they put it up as used with their best guess. The retail window sticker for it had said 2016 Model S 60, but the owner had upgraded to 75 at delivery, and the vehicle had pretty much everything other than Air Suspension. So, I jumped on it. It was close to $9k more than I wanted to spend, but it was a 2016 (updated body shape) with all options (that I cared about; Premium upgrade, cold weather pk, panoramic roof) with 9k miles on it. Got it for $63k.

• Like x 3
  10. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Probably not far off.

I paid just under $50k for my CPO 2013 with 46k miles 1 yr ago and today (a great deal at the time) I'd be lucky to get over $40k for it today. Fortunately it's not for sale.

Be prepared for quick depreciation once AP2 exceeds AP1 functionality and the 3 is at full production.

If your going to keep it for a few years and don't mind the lack of pano roof then it's a fair but not amazing deal.

11. Kross

Kross Member

I think that's the key factor. It was the single biggest factor that affected price, in my daily (sometimes hourly) research of Teslas on the market these past 4 weeks. Vehicles with at least AP1 versus without AP had a huge price difference at resale.

I'm assuming it'll be a similar thing with AP1 and AP2, but not as drastic, just because AP1 at least allows for some "wow" factor for a first time buyer of a used Tesla.

12. Emvdl

Emvdl Member

Should I hold then? Wait a couple of months before buying?

13. Kross

Kross Member

The difference in resale price between an AP1 and AP2 won't make itself known for many years still, in my opinion.

In other words, waiting a few more months won't really get you a much better deal on an AP1 car, save for the usual slight drop in price as vehicles get older over time. If you wait another year, I am sure a 2015 AP1 will cost less than it does today, but that goes without saying for any used luxury vehicle, over time.

If I were you, I would do your research on the car you started this thread with (make sure it's a clean title, check Carfax, ask about service records and repair records). If it's a 1-owner, clean title, no carfax red-flags (no accidents), $55k is a very good price. If that's within your budget, I doubt you'll get a better price right now for a 2015 AP1 (especially a dual motor and very nicely loaded).

14. Kross

Kross Member

I should also say, if the warranty is an issue for your peace of mind, since this doesn't appear to be a Certified Pre-Owned via Tesla itself, you can purchase an extended warranty plan from Tesla, once you have the car. Since it's still within Factory warranty, you should be able to do that easily.

15. Kross

Kross Member

Lastly, if Carfax has accidents, talk to the owner (hopefully it's a 1-owner vehicle) and ask for specifics about the accident and repair records/invoice. That'll tell you how serious it was. If it truly was just a scratched panel, you shouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you plan on keeping the car long-term.

16. Emvdl

Emvdl Member

Thanks! Unfortunately someone beat me to it... so I guess I am back searching again...

This was the car btw...
    2015 Tesla Model S 70d

17. Kross

Kross Member

Darn it! No worries. You'll find the right one. That one was a good buy, but there will be others.

These are the sites I scoured to find mine:
    Good luck!