Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a fair trade in offer for my Model S Plaid 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I requested a trade in offer for my 2021 Model S Plaid that I had since mid August 2021. My Plaid has 11,293 miles Black/black 21" FSD and Tesla offered me $128,300. Is this a decent trade? I'm trading the Plaid for a Model X 7 seater which costs less than the trade in offer. Will Tesla send me a check for the difference or will it stay in my Tesla account for future purchases?

If you are like me and paid $129k for your plaid on a battery day order, I would think that's a decent offer, especially of you WANT the X rather than the S. The decision really is yours!
Edit:. I only paid for 19's, so you paid $133.5k, and tax etc, but still, that's a good offer considering what you paid.

Reactions: stok1232
If you are like me and paid $129k for your plaid on a battery day order, I would think that's a decent offer, especially of you WANT the X rather than the S. The decision really is yours!
Edit:. I only paid for 19's, so you paid $133.5k, and tax etc, but still, that's a good offer considering what you paid.
I paid just under $134k plus tax. I think the trade in is fair considering I'll have it for 50 weeks on the day I let it go. Does anyone know if I have to return the car with the same wheels I received the car with? I ask because when I did the trade in request my pictures showed the Plaid with 19" wheels.

It completely depends on if that is the best offer you can get or not. We just sold our 2021 Y for a big profit vs what we paid for it at the beginning of 2021. I thought demand was so high right now, that most everyone selling a Tesla, especially recent model year, is able to make a profit. Maybe that is not the case with S (less demand?). I would take 5 minutes and grab a quote offer from carvana, vroom, carbuyerusa, etc.

Take the best offer you can get...

i think thats a very reasonable offer. for 11k miles and a depreciation of about 5% for a whole year?? i mean... most cars you drive off lot and lose much more the first 1000 miles. check car gurus , carvana, carmax and see how much an S Plaid around your milage goes for.

For a trade in, not bad. But it does let me know that you quite probably would get several thousand more selling it yourself to a private buyer.
If it were me? Id at least try ebay buy it now option or carsandbids.com with a strong reserve price. I was shocked how easy it was to sell my old S on Ebay last year. Sold in less than a week for MUCH higher than trade in. Funds were wired, I had ebays protection, and within 48 hours after the funds were wired, 18 wheeler picked up the car from my driveway on behalf of the seller. He left me positive feedback as did I for him. And at the time last year, my only fee was $50 or so listing fee. No commission. It was tremendously easy.

That said, reports show that the used car market is cooling off in some areas. So theres that..

Reactions: stok1232 and r3nd3r
For a trade in, not bad. But it does let me know that you quite probably would get several thousand more selling it yourself to a private buyer.
If it were me? Id at least try ebay buy it now option or carsandbids.com with a strong reserve price. I was shocked how easy it was to sell my old S on Ebay last year. Sold in less than a week for MUCH higher than trade in. Funds were wired, I had ebays protection, and within 48 hours after the funds were wired, 18 wheeler picked up the car from my driveway on behalf of the seller. He left me positive feedback as did I for him. And at the time last year, my only fee was $50 or so listing fee. No commission. It was tremendously easy.

That said, reports show that the used car market is cooling off in some areas. So theres that..
great to know ebay is a viable option for selling privately. i just sold my 21' S refresh with 6k miles to a private buyer and had it listed on Cargurus... did i get lucky? maybe. it sold fairly quickly

I actually had a lot of luck with a 3 day ad on facebook. In the end I sold to "My Car Auction", who contacted me through my facebook ad. I used the offers from carbuyerusa, carvana, etc (I forgot which had the highest), to get him to boost his offer to higher than that. I actually ended up with 2 buyers through that ad and let them give me their best offer. I got $1700 more than carbuyerusa which was already really high.