Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He everyone, been looking around for a good deal for a while and came across a beautiful 2012 Model S Signature series with only 32,000 miles. I'v been following the car for a while and it doesn't seem to sell. It's been sitting on their lot forever. Here's the reason I believe it won't go. There are two issues with the car. The sunroof doesn't work right. The motor is sporadic and you have to keep pressing the button over and over in order to get it to open or close. Also, there is a tear in the upholstery in the back of the driver's seat. My suspicion is that the motor on the sunroof and the entire fabric on the back of the seat need to be replaced. The dealership is unwilling to do so and prefers to sell the car as is. I have watched it drop in price like a rock and is now listing for around $35,000. So, since I'm a noobie on all things Tesla, I defer to the expertise in this forum for some help. Here's specifically what I'm asking: 1) Is this a good price? 2) If I were to have both of those things replaced, what do you estimate it would cost me? The dealership actually let me drive the car for the weekend and it was a dream. Absolutely flawless in every way. These are the only things I see that are wrong with it. Finding a Model S in the $30's is not easy to do, and this one has 21" wheels and premium sound package too. It's really nice. Any advice given would be greatly appreciated :)

For comparison purposes, I bought a straight from Tesla CPO (now just used) 2014 S85 with AP1 for $36k. It did have 81k miles on it, but the car is in almost perfect shape. I'd personally rather have a higher mileage car with AP vs. a lower mileage car without. Depends on what's important to you.

I’m just wondering if it’s really a Signature. Look at the last 6 digits of the VIN. If that starts with S, you have a rare Sig (1 of about 1,000 in the US and 200 in Canada, roughly). If it begins with P, the seller is falsely calling it a Signature (most such claims are false). Those Signatures also only came in four colors: black, white, silver, and Signature Red. I just Googled Signature Tesla for sale in Chicago and up popped a nice blue one...that was never made :confused:

My $0.02 is that I wouldn't buy one with out atleast AP1. You might think "Well, I prefer actually driving my car", but now that I am used to having AP2, I wouldn't have it any other way.
That might be why the car is not selling, rather than the sunroof or ripped seat.

He everyone, been looking around for a good deal for a while and came across a beautiful 2012 Model S Signature series with only 32,000 miles. I'v been following the car for a while and it doesn't seem to sell. It's been sitting on their lot forever. Here's the reason I believe it won't go. There are two issues with the car. The sunroof doesn't work right. The motor is sporadic and you have to keep pressing the button over and over in order to get it to open or close. Also, there is a tear in the upholstery in the back of the driver's seat. My suspicion is that the motor on the sunroof and the entire fabric on the back of the seat need to be replaced. The dealership is unwilling to do so and prefers to sell the car as is. I have watched it drop in price like a rock and is now listing for around $35,000. So, since I'm a noobie on all things Tesla, I defer to the expertise in this forum for some help. Here's specifically what I'm asking: 1) Is this a good price? 2) If I were to have both of those things replaced, what do you estimate it would cost me? The dealership actually let me drive the car for the weekend and it was a dream. Absolutely flawless in every way. These are the only things I see that are wrong with it. Finding a Model S in the $30's is not easy to do, and this one has 21" wheels and premium sound package too. It's really nice. Any advice given would be greatly appreciated :)
It's a good deal if you think it is. What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter. If your choice is this Tesla or none well just about any Tesla is better than no Tesla. That's my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.