TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this a J1772?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by kmcdds, Jun 30, 2018.

1. kmcdds

kmcdds Member

Once I get my Model 3 back (huge gouge in bumper at delivery meant sending it in to have the bumper removed and repainted), I’ll be heading up to an area on weekends where there is a serious lack of public chargers. I found this one today outside a Chevrolet dealership, through ChargeHub, and it appears to be free to the public. Is this a J1772 and do Model 3’s come with an adapter for it?

Attached Files:

2. CameronB

CameronB Member

Yes it looks like you have a J1772 plug there. That’s the most common EV plug out there (at least in the US).

That will be one of your adapters, yes.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

But be aware many of those Volt J1772 stations are only 16 amps or in other words painfully slow. The Volt only has a 3.3 kW charger vs the Model 3 of 12 kW.

4. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Some Chevy Dealers also have DCFC (DC CSS shown below) along with their L2 charges (J1722). Unsure whether the Model 3 can use the much faster DCFC.

For reference here are the various connector types:

[​IMG]

5. kmcdds

kmcdds Member

So they had this one as well. I guess that’s the DC CCS. So we might have an adapter for that too?

Attached Files:

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No CCS adaptor available for Tesla’s

• Informative x 1
  7. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Yep that is the DC Fast Charger. Not as fast as the Superchargers, but way faster than L2. Too bad there ain't no Tesla adapters for DCFC/CCS...that would have been your best choice.