Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a new charging option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
After updating to 2020.48.35.5 I noticed the option to set a charge start time. Is this new? I have been trying to get the depart at time to coincide with my off peak rates and it was hit or miss. Now I can just set the start time.

Or was it just my bad eyesight...

Side note, it worked great last night but this morning it was back to a depart time and the start time was grayed out. I had to turn off the depart time again to re-set the charging start time.

IMG_4995.jpg

IMG_4997.jpg

Yes "Scheduled Departure" is a new charging option... but doesn't work correctly on our 2015 P85D since the charging STARTS when I plug our Tesla into our 80A 240V gen1 Tesla High Power Wall Connector no matter what time I plug it in... NOT wait until a computed time to START charging before our "Scheduled Departure" time. EPIC FAIL by Tesla programmers since this almost always starts our charging during our most expensive "On Peak" SCE TOU rate when I get home from work instead of waiting to charge during the least expensive "Super Off Peak" SCE TOU rate.

Hopefully a future software update will fix this programming logic error.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Yes "Scheduled Departure" is a new charging option... but doesn't work correctly on our 2015 P85D since the charging STARTS when I plug our Tesla into our 80A 240V gen1 Tesla High Power Wall Connector no matter what time I plug it in... NOT wait until a computed time to START charging before our "Scheduled Departure" time. EPIC FAIL by Tesla programmers since this almost always starts our charging during our most expensive "On Peak" SCE TOU rate when I get home from work instead of waiting to charge during the least expensive "Super Off Peak" SCE TOU rate.

Hopefully a future software update will fix this programming logic error.

That is odd. I had scheduled departure since I picked up my car in November. It is the scheduled start time that is new to me.

I am using the charger that came with the car. Have not installed the wall charger yet.

Last edited:
That is odd. I had scheduled departure since I picked up my car in November. It is the scheduled start time that is new to me.

I am using the charger that came with the car. Have not installed the wall charger yet.

Hmmm...

Maybe Tesla fixed this in one of the flurry of recent software updates shown in my EV-FW.com account:

2020.44.25 08-December-2020 MCU2 installed concurrently
2020.48.10 11-December-2020
2020.48.12.1 21-December-2020
2020.48.26 28-December-2020
2020.48.30 06-January-2021
I just tried "Schedule Departure" again and it didn't start charging when I plugged in... so hopefully "Schedule Departure" during our lowest utility rates will work correctly now.

What Tesla DOES need to add is a "Utility Off-Peak Rates START" time so it only charges during our lowest TOU rate period.

IMG_2206.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree. It really should allow us to define the start and end times for charging. Of course Tesla would display a warning that charging may not be completed if it is forced to stop at the charging end time. For daily driving it would not matter.

Reactions: BrokerDon
After updating to 2020.48.35.5 I noticed the option to set a charge start time. Is this new? I have been trying to get the depart at time to coincide with my off peak rates and it was hit or miss. Now I can just set the start time.

Or was it just my bad eyesight...

Side note, it worked great last night but this morning it was back to a depart time and the start time was grayed out. I had to turn off the depart time again to re-set the charging start time.

View attachment 630059

View attachment 630060

The option to set a scheduled charging start time has been an available option on my 2016 MS90D ever since I originally took delivery in June 2016.

I can't speak to how this might show up or if a new addition to the Model 3 or Model Y as I have no experience with them, but setting start at time not new at least on my MS which I expect common to MX.

The layout of the specific charging screens has moved around over time. I don't recall there being any changes to the charging screens layout when I updated to 2020.48.12.1 when I was back in US over holidays a couple weeks ago.

The option to set a scheduled charging start time has been an available option on my 2016 MS90D ever since I originally took delivery in June 2016.

I can't speak to how this might show up or if a new addition to the Model 3 or Model Y as I have no experience with them, but setting start at time not new at least on my MS which I expect common to MX.

Mine is a 2021 MS so I'm guessing now that I just missed it all along. The fine print for the option to change from Scheduled Departure to Scheduled Charging probably didn't help.

the charging STARTS when I plug our Tesla into our 80A 240V gen1 Tesla High Power Wall Connector no matter what time I plug it in... NOT wait until a computed time to START charging before our "Scheduled Departure" time

The key appears to be setting an end-time for the off-peak rates at or after your departure time... even if you don't actually have any "off-peak rate to take advantage of. Not an intuitive implementation at all--I suspect the theory is that, absent a rate discount, you would want to immediately charge...?

Also discussed here: Problem with “Depart at” charging

Reactions: BrokerDon