Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a normal amount of time to charge on a supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s another little tip about Supercharging performance that I think I learned here from @FlasherZ. In the settings of the car, you can change the units on the display to read either in distance or energy. If it is set for distance, the charging screen will show miles added per hour. If you change it to energy, it will show the power level in kilowatts. We talk about the Superchargers giving 120kW power level when all is ideal and how it slows down as the battery gets full. I think it was @FlasherZ who pointed out a nice ballpark is that the state of charge plus the number of kilowatts is usually around 120. So when your battery is 50% full, it will probably be around 70kW power. That’s a good way to see if the power from the Supercharger is appropriate or not.

Oh, one other thing is about the cold. I’m picking up on the clues on this. You said the temperature was 40 degrees, but that was probably referring to the daytime while you were driving, right? It probably got down to about 30 overnight, right? @mikeash referenced this part. If the battery is what we call “cold soaked”, where it has been outside in the cold for several hours, charging will be very slow at first. I’ve actually read on here a couple of stories where people gave up and left or panicked because they plugged into a Supercharger, and it didn’t do anything for 5 or 10 minutes. That was because their battery was at about 5 degrees Fahrenheit, and the system was warming the battery up before enabling any charging. Charging while the cells are really really cold is terrible and damaging to lithium ion battery cells. But you don’t have to worry about that, other than knowing it will take longer, because the Tesla battery management system makes sure to not damage your battery pack by using energy to warm it up first, before beginning charging. If you think of the physics of it, warming up a 1,000+ pound block of metal takes a while in 5 degree temperatures, so that will take some extra time.

So yeah, if it’s pretty cold, you might want to maybe fill most of it that evening while it’s still warm from driving and then maybe warm up/top off in the morning, after it has sat in the cold.

I don't think that was me, but perhaps it's a reasonably good rule of thumb. Crossover point for 90 kW is at ~40% or so, so it's close enough. :)

Note that the display tends to show the average over the session. To find out instantaneous kW, multiply volts * amps and divide by 1,000. e.g., 350V at 200A is 70,000 W or 70 kW.

I don't think that was me, but perhaps it's a reasonably good rule of thumb. Crossover point for 90 kW is at ~40% or so, so it's close enough. :)

Note that the display tends to show the average over the session. To find out instantaneous kW, multiply volts * amps and divide by 1,000. e.g., 350V at 200A is 70,000 W or 70 kW.
I have heard from many people that it only shows the average for the session when it is displaying the miles per hour. In kilowatts, I think it is always the instantaneous value.

Completely disagree with "random patterns". They have multiple patterns (but less than 7) and they are definitely not random.
There is no way to know, arriving at a SC, what the layout will be. It may not be random to the person that lays them out, but there is no logic that would allow the user to know what to expect.

Reactions: Tree95
I need to find a good tutorial on all of this.....:confused:
Yeah, if you dive into all the details and want to optimize charging time/speed, as is the tendency of many who post on an enthusiasts' forum, there's lots to learn and it can get complicated. :)

I think Tesla's overall goal with the superchargers is to allow you to just plug in, take a short break while charging, and not worry about the details. Clearly they haven't perfected that yet, but you can pretty much boil it down to just a few things:

* Look for the letter/number label on each pedestal when you arrive -- Supercharger pedestals labeled "A" and "B" with the same number share power, so try to be the only one (or the first one) plugged into a pair
* Supercharging is fastest when the battery is close to empty and slows down substantially as it fills up
* Supercharging also slows down in extreme temperatures; in particular if it's cold you're better off supercharging after having driven for a while
* If you're not paired with another car, your battery is close to empty, the temperature is mild, and charging is still slow (or not working), call Tesla for assistance

FlasherZ has a great FAQ for home charging:
FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A
Has anyone done the same for supercharging? I would've thought so by now, but I don't remember reading one, and some quick forum searches don't uncover anything for me, though Tesla itself has a decent FAQ:
Supercharging

• Informative
Reactions: Soundchasr
Might depend on the supercharging station? I did my first Supercharge ever yesterday. Range started at about 40 miles, and the peak amperage was about 260. Voltage showed about 380. That's on a 2014 model with 85 battery.

There are some older units out there that are only 120 kW - I think all the old 90 kW cabinets have been replaced by now, but maybe not? Either way - 380@260 is ~99 kW. I would have expected to see a bit higher than that for your first 3 minutes or so at 40 miles, but not too long.

This may be of interest to some. Numbers are from a late 2014 manufacture Rev. D 85 kwh.

100 kW - 40%
90 kW - 45%
80 kW - 52%

spc_curve.png

• Informative
Reactions: jgallops
I need to find a good tutorial on all of this.....:confused:

As a general Supercharger rule, if you are not getting close to 300 miles/hour of additional range and you are below the 50% threshold (approximately 130 miles of range in the Model S 85), you might want to try a different Supercharger connector.

I had this problem at the Charlotte, NC Supercharger once and was able to get close to the 300 miles/hour charge rate when I moved the car to a different connector.

One other way to tell the Supercharging rate is normal is when you are charging at or over 300 A and 300 V (on the right side, after you tap the power icon at the top-left of the main screen).

if he arrives at a supercharger the battery will be warm from heat generation (or evne battery heating which afaik is not necessary if youve driven the whole battery down to 10%)

0-40% in 20min
0-70% in 40min
0-85% in 60min

slightly less than that is normal. If you were at around 10% with 30miles left you should have been at perhaps 60odd percent after 35min.