TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this a normal Model X sound, or should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tinm, Sep 7, 2017.

1. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I'm on Day 27 of driving a Model X P100DL loaner (yeah, I know) as I wait for Tesla to figure out how to get a truck to transport my 2013 Model S from San Diego to New Mexico and then return the X to SD.

I am now experiencing a strange shimmering sound when driving on Interstate 25 (speed limit 75) here in NM.

Here's the SoundCloud link to a brief recording of the sound:
    strange sounds at 75mph on Interstate 25 in a Model X P100DL loaner

(heads up: SoundCloud in their infinite wisdom will start auto-playing other recordings once this 23-sec clip finishes)

Some info about the sound:
    • It’s intermittent
    • Does not appear that any driver action triggers it (starts/ends on its own, regardless if I am accelerating, rolling, or slowing down w/ regen)
    • The PITCH of the audio does not change based on speed of vehicle..
    • It generally happens right around 75mph
    • It did also very briefly happen around 55mph
    • Does not happen on slower city/rural roads.
    • All windows were closed and AC off when I recorded on iPhone.
    • No personal belongings or boxes or metal objects stowed in car — this seemed to be coming from under the car, like one of the Drive Units, or suspension?
    • It did not seem like wheel/brake noise — the sound was more centered, not coming from a specific wheel or anything.

Any ideas?

2. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Gosh. This being TMC I would've thought this might have triggered even a single response. Oh well!

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Not very scientific, but my gut feeling says it sounds like a rubbing sounds coming from something that is rotating. Best bet is to get the SC to look at it. But since it's a loaner, you may just want to wait till you return it, and inform them then.

4. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Already talked to them and sent em the audio. They also were puzzled as to what it might be.

5. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

Weird. Is it a mechanical noise or something electronic? Could it be something with the active spoiler that is trying to move at a specific speed?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I listened to your audio recording. Because during playback I can adjust the volume I have no sense of how loud it sounds to you in the car. Would you describe it as "loud", "moderate", or "faint"? Easy to hear when not listening to music or do you have to concentrate to hear it?

I have a very intermittent high pitched sound in my X that could be similar to yours. It's a faint whistling noise, steady pitch, occurs from 70 to 75 (not sure about higher speeds, I don't go over 75) but only occasionally. Not related to the AC. One might assume it is a window seal leak but both my wife and I perceive it as coming from towards the front of the car and it is not lateralized. It's so faint that you have to concentrate to hear it. I don't think it is the front motor because it is not a constant sound at a certain speed or speeds. It's very intermittent and it sounds very different from the faint motor whine when accelerating hard.

Because the noise is so intermittent and faint I have not bothered to go to my local Service Center and have a service person ride with me in the car and listen for it. I assume that your noise is louder.

7. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I'd say it's "moderate". I used my iPhone (which has a so-so built-in microphone) to record a video of it, so I boosted the gain when converting the video to audio. Also did noise reduction to reduce the low-end rumble of road noise, so the shimmering, high-RPM ringing sound would be clearer.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Sounds like some airflow whissle. Maybe the spoiler pitch?

9. mickey6

mickey6 Member

Try driving at the same speed with the side mirrors folded in. If its not that, then maybe a leaky front window or a window that is not sealing properly.

10. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Well the driver's window and door does not completely seal, I've noticed that from day one. One hears occasional mild whooshing of wind getting through. But that is very mild and occasional and sounds like one would expect it to sound: like a window open just the tiniest bit, when driving at freeway speeds.

The sound I recorded is not coming from windows or the side mirrors. It sounds more like from below, as if rear drive unit or the suspension, wheels, etc. I continue to be puzzled why the pitch of the sound does not change if I change speed of the car though.

11. daktari

daktari Member

Sound like someone blows a whistle. Probably a small hole somewhere, it could be a misaligned seal or a place there it does not exist. Some with roof racks get similar sound at speed. Check around the rear doors.
    Got it also on my S in 160 km/h

12. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2

• Helpful x 1
  13. robski

robski Member

Sounds like the same thing I experienced back in January. Turned out the be a misaligned headlight. Super annoying but that's about it.

Here ya go:

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

??? Can you elaborate?

15. robski

robski Member

It started very faint, somewhat like you mentioned, but then grew moderate to loud over prior months. I could trigger it at ~75mph without fail.

I take back what I said about misalignment (thanks for keeping me honest), although that's what I recall they verbally mentioned. I checked the invoice and it says:
    =======
    Concern: Customer states: Whistling sound coming from the front dashboard.

Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
    Found headlight to make whistling noise. Added foam to limit whistle.
    Corrections: Perform Validation Test Drive
    Technician road tested vehicle after repairs. Technician verified noise is now gone.

Pay Type: Warranty
    =======

Hope that helps! Let me know.

16. NAALSET

NAALSET Member

Also get the windscreen checked. I used to get the same sound in a different car at high speeds. Ended up being sealant in the windscreen. They had to change the windscreen in the other car, and it stopped.

17. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Has anyone else had experience with other auto manufacturers finding "hacks" to resolve customer issues? Just curious if it's a Tesla-specific thing.

18. Xcelerator

Xcelerator Member

19. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

weird formatting... looks like your reply got inserted into the text you were quoting

20. Xcelerator

Xcelerator Member

Oh, that is weird! That is my answer starting after the first sentence. Not sure how it came out that way. Hmm.