TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is this a typo? Model S w/ 300 miles?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Eclectic, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

This is on the Model X reservation page, where Tesla also has a reservation link for the Model S. Has the Model S ever been advertised as having a 300 mile range?

MODEL S
    21ST CENTURY PERFORMANCE
    Premium electric sedan
    Up to 300 miles per charge

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yes, in the very early days the initial rating was 300 (ideal) miles. Then the Model S was rated by the EPA at 265 and that became the default number Tesla used on their site and in promotional materials. Note that on the RWD 85s, 300 ideal miles still equals 265 rated miles and you can toggle between these displays using a setting on the center panel. Other battery sizes have less, and the AWD versions have different ideal/rated ratios.

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I have actually driven mine 300 miles on a single charge. P85 with 19" Michelins. Still had mileage left when I got home. (Not a whole bunch but not empty either.)

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I did over 302 miles in a P85D, but that is not typical...

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

The pre-2011 EPA 2-cycle test yielded 300 miles, which is what is still used for the CAFE calculations.

6. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Some guy drove over 400 on a single charge, correct? Think they figured out optimal hypermiler speed was around 35.

Father-son went 423.5 miles.

7. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Actually, I believe 3 separate drivers have done it. Optimal speed is closer to 25mph. :cool:

400mi Challenge - Google Photos