Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this an air suspension leak or...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So I walked out into the garage a couple of hours ago and heard what sounded like an air hose leaking with a high pitched but relatively quiet whine (much different than the "normal" noises the car makes). At first I actually thought it was my garage compressor, but then I realized it was coming from my car. It sounds just like an air hose leak, but the suspension hasn't collapsed or anything (note: over the years it has done a few up/down dances). The high pitched whine almost sounds like the compressor (i.e. is there a tiny leak and the compressor is running to "keep up"), but it is quieter than I normally hear from the compressor (admittedly, I am usually inside the car).

Anyway, video below (hopefully you can get to it and hear it OK - it is most audible as I move above the tire and then beneath the car). Note there is no obvious leak at the strut air hose joint, etc.

Video of noise:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sat5K9UVN9eWyP4P7

Car is a 2013 P85+.

Anyway, does this sound like an air suspension leak or something else?

It does seem to be working OK (although I have not driven it) and there are no warnings on the dash. I just raised it to "very high" just to get a better view of the suspension components at it worked normally. I just looked up the location of the fuse boxes and pulled fuse 36 (air suspension) expecting the noise to stop and it did not...hmmmm.

Now I am wondering if it could be the vacuum pump.