Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this battery performance normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this M3 SR+ 11 month ago. Initially the milage estimates where 339km @80%. More recently the estimates sit close to 295km@80%. I usually don't drive that long a distance but today after a full charge to 80% overnight I did 160km. That reduced the range estimate to 65km at the end. Assuming the remaining range estimate is as bad as the original, I actually had 45km left. So my actual driving range is 205km. My long term average consumption is 151w/km. I was doing 147w/km today. So how does Tesla estimates get this so wrong? And more importantly am I sitting on a dud battery pack?

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_193719.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193719.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20210730_193706.jpg
    IMG_20210730_193706.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 87
The estimate listed next to the battery is based on the government tests and considered “ideal”. While it is technically possible to exceed this number, in practice, you would have to drive extremely slowly and have plenty of regen to even meet this number.

Everyone’s driving habits and environments are different. Short trips, weather like rain or wind or snow, temperature, terrain, and your personal driving habits like acceleration rate and speed all play a part in what range you can be expected to get. The range Tesla puts next to the battery has caused more posts on this form. Many prefer to use percentage instead as it doesn’t cause as much anxiety.

Take a look at the energy app if you haven’t already. It will give you the expected range based on your personal history. You can then use that to gain a sense of understanding of what you can expect out of range. Further, the real way to watch for battery degradation would be to use a data logger such as Teslafi or teslamate. They will show degradation over time. While these statistics are worthless to use with Tesla if you do feel you have an issue, they will give you an understanding of trends over time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Thanks @jmaddr for a very insightful post.

I’d been watching my battery performance through the Tesla Stats and TezLab apps. I haven’t been looking at range as much as energy capacity. You can do this by seeing how much energy went into the battery for a given percentage of charge.

For my P3 I was quite worried that I seemed to be heading down towards a total pack capacity of. 60-64kWh. Having taken it on a decent drive (1200km) a couple of weekends ago then it looks more like back towards 75kWh. Extent and rate of cycling seems to affect the battery management by the car.

If anyone has further insights I would be quite interested

Thanks @jmaddr for a very insightful post.

I’d been watching my battery performance through the Tesla Stats and TezLab apps. I haven’t been looking at range as much as energy capacity. You can do this by seeing how much energy went into the battery for a given percentage of charge.

For my P3 I was quite worried that I seemed to be heading down towards a total pack capacity of. 60-64kWh. Having taken it on a decent drive (1200km) a couple of weekends ago then it looks more like back towards 75kWh. Extent and rate of cycling seems to affect the battery management by the car.

If anyone has further insights I would be quite interested

the initial Model 3 performances/AWDs from the first shipment in 2019 which were delivered to Australia all suffer from heavyish degradation - noone really knows why that is. Some people believe this is due to a 12v battery failure on the boat but this imho explains nothing. My opinion is that the batteries are all from the same batch and have poor quality cells for whatever reason.
Temperature is not a factor - people in Melbourne have the same degradation as people in North Australia.

that said, the model 3 in general has quite heavy degradation. 5% after 1 year is completely normal.

Reactions: Hairyman
the initial Model 3 performances/AWDs from the first shipment in 2019 which were delivered to Australia all suffer from heavyish degradation - noone really knows why that is. Some people believe this is due to a 12v battery failure on the boat but this imho explains nothing. My opinion is that the batteries are all from the same batch and have poor quality cells for whatever reason.
Temperature is not a factor - people in Melbourne have the same degradation as people in North Australia.

that said, the model 3 in general has quite heavy degradation. 5% after 1 year is completely normal.
I got mine in late September. I wonder if the issue was still present then or had been fixed

Here is my 2019 SR+ battery relative to other SR+'s world wide.

1627698164617.png

I have always been below the "average", but seem to be heading back to the "normal" over the last 6 months since I have occasionally charged it to 100% and driven it down to under 15%. That last spurt up from 20,000km was a 2,600km trip from Sydney to Hobart and back.
btw, TeslaFi says this is a comparison between 12 other cars at the same KM's. 10 are better than me and 2 are worse.

Here is my 2019 SR+ battery relative to other SR+'s world wide.

View attachment 690154
I have always been below the "average", but seem to be heading back to the "normal" over the last 6 months since I have occasionally charged it to 100% and driven it down to under 15%. That last spurt up from 20,000km was a 2,600km trip from Sydney to Hobart and back.
btw, TeslaFi says this is a comparison between 12 other cars at the same KM's. 10 are better than me and 2 are worse.
Tyre wear/brand, road surface, and environmental conditions such as wind, heat, or cold will all make a significant impact. As will your driving style (acceleration and top speed), the mass you have in the car, and the climate control. Terrain is also a big consideration. If your round trip is on the same road than it averages out, but if its not on the same road one my take you to a higher elevation than the other.

The estimate listed next to the battery is based on the government tests and considered “ideal”. While it is technically possible to exceed this number, in practice, you would have to drive extremely slowly and have plenty of regen to even meet this number.
Do you mean the figure on the screen or the figure on the sticker on the window when the car is delivered? The latter is completely fanciful (620 km for LR), the former should be pretty accurate.

On long trips, I can easily drive further (at highway speeds) than what the battery icon says my range is - if the A/C is not on. If the A/C is on, the range falls short of the screen estimates at highway speeds, but not by a lot in my experience. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz
Well, it could be worse - here's a friend's 2019 SR+.

13% degradation after 24,000km and just under 2 years old. Gap between green (fleet) and blue line even bigger in 2020 than 2021. Only 17% more degradation in the next 6 years to trigger a warranty claim!

193 vehicles with similar odometer reading. 191 vehicles have a higher range. 2 have a lower range.

On the surface it like winter kills estimated range even though minimum garage temperature is over 10C all year round. However I think the post at How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity may provide a better explanation - that the battery is not being allowed to run down to low SOC through winter and so the BMS is not providing accurate range calculations.

1627776388661.png

Last edited:
On the surface it like winter kills estimated range even though minimum garage temperature is over 10C all year round. However I think the post at How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity may provide a better explanation - that the battery is not being allowed to run down to low SOC through winter and so the BMS is not providing accurate range calculations.
I suspect not driving the car much also has an effect. In lockdown in Sydney I have barely driven my car at all over the past 2 months. If I slide the battery charge slider all the way to the right on the App, it says the fully charged range is now about 470km. I suspect a month or so of regular driving with some longer runs would see the BMS recalibrate and decide the battery health is better than it thought. I am keeping my car charged at 50-60% through lockdown.

I suspect not driving the car much also has an effect. In lockdown in Sydney I have barely driven my car at all over the past 2 months. If I slide the battery charge slider all the way to the right on the App, it says the fully charged range is now about 470km. I suspect a month or so of regular driving with some longer runs would see the BMS recalibrate and decide the battery health is better than it thought. I am keeping my car charged at 50-60% through lockdown.
Have you noticed any reduction in phantom battery drain whilst maintaining it at lower levels?

Have you noticed any reduction in phantom battery drain whilst maintaining it at lower levels?

1627863100713.png

1 month 3 days without charging. After charging to 96% before lock down.
Current charge level is 30% or 24% cold battery level.
130km driven and it has lost 250kms.
It wakes up once or twice a day and has had one firmware update.
Sentry mode is not on at home.

Lifetime consumption 135 Wh/km for SR+ purchased in late 2019.
That's only the driving component and does not take into account the overheads like air con, sentry, lights, screen, USB usage, battery warming, etc..

193 vehicles with similar odometer reading. 191 vehicles have a higher range. 2 have a lower range.

@SandyP and @dgh853, what are your Fleet Battery Data Settings? (See below for mine)
I have less than 20 "similar" mileage cars for comparison, where as your cars have greater then 190 cars...

1627863772767.png