TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this check real?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

C913B209-9ED9-4E43-B00D-01A5EC1AE10C.jpeg Got this in the mail today. Not sure if this is legit or a scam. I know there was some type of lawsuit going on regarding autopilot. Not sure if this is related
    Anyone else get this?

• Informative x 1
  2. DukeofURL

DukeofURL Member

Yep, this is from the class action suit from EAP taking too long to come to fruition. Not a scam.

3. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Agreed with @DukeofURL and @Kuhz .

Besides, if it's a million dollars, I would be hesitant but for twenty bucks? It's the real McCoy :)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

You mean my 2.2 million lottery check from Nigerian prince is fake!?

• Funny x 9
  6. woof

woof Fluffy Member

My wife got a check about 10 times that amount...anyone know why that might be?

7. JimVision

JimVision Member

Odd, I received the same, but for $40.60. Same date.

I never purchased the advanced autopilot.

• Informative x 1
  8. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

So everyone’s getting different amounts even those who didn’t order EAP? Seems fishy

9. Evee

Evee Member

wow congrats

10. appleguru

appleguru Member

Yes, it's real. More details (including how they determined the payouts) can be found here (or below): Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc.

Maximum check amount is $280. Mine was for ~$170.

settlement _amounts.png

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  11. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Yeah, can you believe it? Someone doesn't get a feature as fast as they want and sues. Boo-hoo. I ordered my S with full self driving knowing it could be a long time before the technology and laws permitted the car to drive itself. But then we do live in an age of instant gratification.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  12. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Yes, the amounts are variable. Depends on when the car was purchased. The earlier the car was purchased, the more $$ as it is more likely to be based on misleading info.

• Like x 2
  13. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Cool story bro. This suit has nothing to do with full self driving, but rather the “enhanced autopilot” features that Tesla told tens of thousands of buyers would be available in December 2016 but have yet to fully deliver.

• Like x 6
  14. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

And the lawyers made how much?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  15. croman

croman Active Member

Yea, class action attorney compensation should be more realistic but without them no one gets anything and Tesla keeps deceiving customers. They got almost 1M for class counsel and other attorneys (and experts). Named plaintiffs got like $5k I think. You could've objected if you really cared. Honestly the Judge is the one that shoulders the blame for inequitable distribution and approving the settlement. Judges need to stand up and hold attorneys accountable for fair compensation that does not drain rewards for harmed plaintiffs.

• Like x 1
  16. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

A little rain on the OP's parade, but....

It can't be legitimate. The payee's name is blanked out.

• Funny x 3
  17. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

It was due the the loss of functionality when the system switched from AP 1.0 to AP2.0. During that period, AP1 functionality was reasonably expected because the current cars had it but was not actually available on the delivered cars.

Time line:
    AP1-> assisted driving
    First AP2 deliveries -> nothing
    Later AP2 deliveries and OTA updated first deliveries -> increasing levels of functionality

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Dang, so it PAYS to have ordered early ;p

19. Bridor

Bridor Member

The most you can get is $210??? Wow - I'm sure if you had gone to Tesla, you might have received a little bit more than that. Actually, I would have been willing to help you out if you were that desperate for money. My father told me when I was young, that the only ones who win in a lawsuit are the lawyers. This just proves that to me. Tesla is doing so much good for us and the planet. Because of them, I am now driving a beautiful Jaguar i-Pace - it may be just a city car, but it drives wonderfully. Jaguar never would have made this vehicle if it wasn't for Tesla showing the world that you can make compelling, beautiful electric vehicles for a profit. I sometimes wish I could have autopilot - but it would cost way more than $10,000 to trade up. I am still very happy with my 2014 Tesla Model S with 160,000 miles. I used it to drive to New York and back and I have made several trips to Washington State and Texas. I also go back and forth from Arizona to California a lot. I love Tesla and I am really looking forward to seeing the Model Y.

Brent

20. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.12.1.1

Can anyone else receiving checks and posting pictures be sure to include the entire routing number? It makes them a lot easier to deposit. Thanks! ;)

View attachment 367463
    The highest amount is $280 but some have reported receiving slightly higher amounts, but still less than $290.

Others opted out of the class action lawsuit, to enable them to potentially obtain larger refunds in the future or because they didn't want to receive a refund.