TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is this condensation on my taillight normal? (pic attached)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dcopperfield, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

photo.jpeg

I have the same thing on my front headlights and called Tesla--- they said yes. I dont think so, though--- i will eventually get mold in there, no????

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Normal? Yes.
    Desirable? No.

3. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

The silver strip across the back is commonly referred to as the "applique". It is common to have moisture here. Right now the treatment in the service center is to blow compressed air from the side and it dissipates. I am told that more permanent methods will follow (whether that is reattaching the applique, or replacing it, I do not know).

4. GDH

GDH Banned

That is not "normal".

That needs to be fixed at Tesla's cost.

5. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

My car is going back into Menlo on the 21st to get this fixed once and for all. They ordered parts in November, so they must have had to wait for a part that did not exhibit that problem.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I meant normal as in (unfortunately) not uncommon. Agree it needs to be fixed.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Moisture in the tailights is not normal and shouldn't be treated as such. They are designed (or should be) to prevent this. This suggests to me some glitch in their assembly. I'm sure Tesla knows this and will fix it for you.

8. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Roadster owners reported this same issue a few years ago.

9. ddruz

ddruz Member

How did Tesla eventually resolve this for the Roadster owners?

10. sublimaze1

I cannot speak for roadster owners, but I live in Texas (Dallas) and this was present when the vehicle was shipped from California (left just after the Dec1,2 rainfest y'all had). After two days in dry-ville, it went away and has never come back. For those who are in humidity laden locations, I am sorry that I cannot give any more information.

11. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

Having the same issue, was about to contact service. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357997707.327602.jpg

12. sublimaze1

photo(96).JPG
    Mine on delivery.

Again, this is in the appliqué, not the actual tail light assembly, so it is not a corrosion issue, per se'

13. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I think the assessment should be "common" for Tesla Model S vehicles, but not normal. There is a defect in the seal -- wherever it is.

14. Darren

Darren Member

I had the same issue. Brought it to Tesla and they fixed it by replacing the whole strip (applique) :)

15. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

What about the headlights? I have condensation on both of mine. I called and they said it was normal. I thought headlights were sealed, no?

By the way, I am in Seattle where we have alot of humidity and moisture.

16. Carl

Carl Member

I had the same issue a few months ago with my Lexus (in rainy Belgium). "Not normal", Lexus said, and they fixed it (by replacing the rubber strip).

With the Tesla S, we're all going to be pioneers (and we must thank the first 10,000 U.S. buyers for already pioneering for the benefit of us Europeans who are getting deliveries a bit later!) so I suppose we must accept that such a revolutionary car, from a more or less newbie brand, will have quite some child diseases. But Tesla must likewise accept to fix them of course! Hence, "normal" is not a correct answer, even is "common" were to unfortunately be an honest answer!

17. dbanner

dbanner Member

Not normal. Not acceptable. Make them fix it.

18. strider

strider Active Member

Roadsters had fogging in the headlights. The fix for me was to pull the rubber cover off the back of the headlight assembly, hit it w/ a hair dryer, and replace the cover. Has fixed it for 2 years so far.

19. R3dstang66

R3dstang66 Member

I too have this issue and called the experience team. Looks like they are replacing and awaiting for parts. Hopefully when they call me in i have my other items on the due bill.

20. Chgd Up

Chgd Up Sig 1004

Did you manage to get this fixed? And has it stayed dry after washing? Every Model S I've seen has had this condensation when it is wet out. I love to know if there is an official fix.