Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this condensation on my taillight normal? (pic attached)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
photo.jpeg

I have the same thing on my front headlights and called Tesla--- they said yes. I dont think so, though--- i will eventually get mold in there, no????

The silver strip across the back is commonly referred to as the "applique". It is common to have moisture here. Right now the treatment in the service center is to blow compressed air from the side and it dissipates. I am told that more permanent methods will follow (whether that is reattaching the applique, or replacing it, I do not know).

I cannot speak for roadster owners, but I live in Texas (Dallas) and this was present when the vehicle was shipped from California (left just after the Dec1,2 rainfest y'all had). After two days in dry-ville, it went away and has never come back. For those who are in humidity laden locations, I am sorry that I cannot give any more information.

I had the same issue a few months ago with my Lexus (in rainy Belgium). "Not normal", Lexus said, and they fixed it (by replacing the rubber strip).

With the Tesla S, we're all going to be pioneers (and we must thank the first 10,000 U.S. buyers for already pioneering for the benefit of us Europeans who are getting deliveries a bit later!) so I suppose we must accept that such a revolutionary car, from a more or less newbie brand, will have quite some child diseases. But Tesla must likewise accept to fix them of course! Hence, "normal" is not a correct answer, even is "common" were to unfortunately be an honest answer!

My car is going back into Menlo on the 21st to get this fixed once and for all. They ordered parts in November, so they must have had to wait for a part that did not exhibit that problem.

Did you manage to get this fixed? And has it stayed dry after washing? Every Model S I've seen has had this condensation when it is wet out. I love to know if there is an official fix.