Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this fan sound normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine makes that sound too. I've brought it in to Tesla and they tell me it's "normal," but everytime I'm at a SuC the car sounds like it's ready to take off and people stare at it concerned that's it's gonna kersplode. I'm convinced a bearing surface is worn out which is causing the whine vs an expected fan whirring.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd
That sound is definately not normal. I have had 3 fans replaced in 4 years (2015 MS P90D) 3 under warranty 1 under extended warranty. - I feel that qualifies my as an expert:).

That sound is the inner bearing and it will gradually get worse and worse. There is a new versions of the fan which came out about 12 months ago that has an updated centre bearing to overcome this repetative problem. Don't let them tell you it's normal. It is not and the fans do not sound like that when new. I've attached my last invoice fan change and 12 volt battery replacement (August 2019) the invoice stats 'customer pays' however that is simply because it was done under EXTENDED warranty the preiouse ones listed as warranty/goodwill. My fans were making the exact sound as per your clip.

Good luck

Attachments

• Left Fan Replacement Augst 2019 P90D.pdf
    102.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Helpful
That sound is definately not normal. I have had 3 fans replaced in 4 years (2015 MS P90D) 3 under warranty 1 under extended warranty. - I feel that qualifies my as an expert:).

It's honestly so ****ing frustrating that my intuitions were the bearing surface, and I suggested EXACTLY that to the tech in charge of my appointment eval and he basically just told me to kick rocks.

• Informative
Let's see what excuse I get :rolleyes:
On a side note I will be crossing 50k by my service appointment day. Do you know if they will still honor this repair under warranty since it was reported prior to 50k?

Thanks for all replies.

ABSOLUTELY normal. Just gets amplified by the phone mic.
It´s the bigger cooling fans which are shutting down after the car is parked.

They rarely come on in normal driving. Mostly on spirited driving on the freeway and during supercharging (and in super high temp climate conditions).
No worries

ABSOLUTELY normal. Just gets amplified by the phone mic.
It´s the bigger cooling fans which are shutting down after the car is parked.

They rarely come on in normal driving. Mostly on spirited driving on the freeway and during supercharging (and in super high temp climate conditions).
No worries

It's not normal, mobile service replaced my drivers side condenser fan because of the squeak and now my passenger side is doing it. I let them know and they ordered the part to replace that one as well.

After the replacement its totally silent.

Capture.PNG

• Helpful
Mine does the same. The high pitching noise is even so loud, that you can hear it during slow drive in the cabin. Prague Service Center Lite was UNABLE to find the source of the noise despite keeping the car for TWO days. Thats not a service center, thats a bad joke.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric