TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

is this for a car jack?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by chloedog, May 25, 2016.

1. chloedog

chloedog Member

found this in my model x in the rear trunk cargo well area. what is this for? looks like it's for a car jack, but i thought tesla's don't come with car jacks and spare tires? if it's useful and i should keep it in my car at all times, any suggestions for a better place to store it?

Attached Files:

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

That's the pin that holds the entire battery pack to the car. Looks like they forgot to install it.

Just kidding! I have no clue what that is. It's not to a jack. It's a factory piece they shouldn't have left there.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  3. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

It is the tow hook, it can be screwed into a hole in the front bumper in case the car needs to be pulled out manually.

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

looks like a tow hook its listed in the manual on how to tow your model x

5. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Looks like a tow hook...

Early Model S didn't come with one, but once they made modifications to sell in Europe, it was added (they are a required safety item). On the S, it's stored in the frunk under the carpet. It can be screwed into the front bumper (behind a pop-out trim piece).

Not sure where it's stored on the X. Might be worth seeing if there's a slot for it below the carpet in the frunk (and maybe there's one already there -- you may have received an extra).

• Like x 1
  6. chloedog

chloedog Member

interesting. so everybody should have one of these? does everyone carry this tow hook in the car with them at all times? it's kind of annoying in that there's not a great place to store it in the car.

7. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I have an early S, so no tow hook. They are common on European cars -- my previous BMWs and Porsche had them in the tool kits.

But yes, keep it in the car. The only time you would need it is if you need to be towed out in a not normal situation..l

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

There is a place. It's stored right behind the nosecone with clips.

Oh... wait.

9. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Mine was tucked into the UMC bag....

• Like x 1
  10. chloedog

chloedog Member

ok so the manual says this

"The method used to connect the winch cable depends on whether Model X is equipped with a towing eye (located in the front trunk)."

So that suggests that there are actually 2 versions of the model X, one that comes with this tow hook thing, and one without. And if it comes with it it's supposed to go in the frunk, not in the trunk cargo well where I found it. But my frunk just looks like this, so I don't see anywhere that I could store it. The frunk flooring is sort of once piece and doesn't really pull up. Maybe I got a non-towing eye version of the Model X but they accidentally gave me a towing eye. Any other model X owners out there in North America get one of these?

Attached Files:

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Is there not a pocket in the front of the frunk where it could go? I swear I saw one on the sig I got to poke around in.

12. chloedog

chloedog Member

i suppose i could stuff it in this front part of the frunk, but it doesn't really seem like it was designed to hold it. there's nothing to clip it or secure it in place. it would just slide around a lot i think. IMG_2856.JPG

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

From the Model S manual ... :cool:

upload_2016-5-25_21-42-59.png

Attached Files:

14. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Mine was held in a loop in the charging kit bag. Nothing else in the bag would fit that spot so it seems intentional.

• Like x 1
  15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Mine was in the UMC bag, I placed my UMC bag in the frunk as I don't need the UMC since I have the WC

16. Mkeym111

Mkeym111 Member

During delivery, I asked about this...I was told it was the tow hook and I would never need it because a tow driver would have one anyway.

17. deonb

deonb Active Member

Tow hooks are standardized?

18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

19. vangogh

vangogh Member

Ohhh....I thought it was a big needle for sewing together ripped uphostrey...Thanks for the clarification : )

• Funny x 3
  20. ssq

ssq Member

threads on that tow hook seem awfully small/shallow..:eek: