Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this for real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It engages in park as in it's not rolling but the red P doesn't show up unless I hold the button on the stalk down for a few seconds. It's been like that in every tesla I've owned or driven.

Red park symbol:
The parking brake indicator lights up
on the instrument panel whenever
you use the touchscreen to manually
apply the parking brake.
The long press also activates the parking brake, for use if the service brake fail (will stop you while moving)

Do we know that for a fact, or does summon only use the parking brake?

I was 90% certain, but I had no proof, so before I left work this afternoon I summoned out of the parking space - from the driver's seat.

The brake pedal is dragged down as soon as it accepts the Summon, while the motors are folding. It then comes back up as the car starts to move, and goes back down when the Summon competes/cancels.

So yes, I'm (now) certain that Summon uses the main brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I was 90% certain, but I had no proof, so before I left work this afternoon I summoned out of the parking space - from the driver's seat.

The brake pedal is dragged down as soon as it accepts the Summon, while the motors are folding. It then comes back up as the car starts to move, and goes back down when the Summon competes/cancels.

So yes, I'm (now) certain that Summon uses the main brakes.

Ugh. Autocorrect got me and I didn't see it before the edit button died. While the *mirrors* are folding...

It engages in park as in it's not rolling but the red P doesn't show up unless I hold the button on the stalk down for a few seconds. It's been like that in every tesla I've owned or driven.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what the red P that shows up when you long press the park button. There was a note in the manual that said it would light up when the parking brake was manually engaged through the touchscreen, but the manual doesn’t seem to be clear about what the difference between a long press and a short press of the park button does.

That said, when you short press the P button it puts the car in park by engaging the parking brakes. The car absolutely should not be free rolling when in park (as indicated by a white P on the gear shift indicator and even without the red P) and the message you got that says that the parking brake is not applied and the car may be free rolling definitely indicates a problem. As I said, my car was serviced and they replaced my parking brake calipers because I was getting this message occasionally.