Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this gen 1 or gen 2 seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photos of 2015 Tesla Model S

Anyone know if these are the gen 1 or gen 2 seats? Vin ends in 75xxx if that helps any. I watched some comparison videos but still hard to decipher since I think the only difference between gen 1 and 2 is additional bolstering/support?

It’s supposed to deliver this Wednesday and I have some concerns on the gen 1 seats from all the complaints I’ve read. Is gen 2 really better than 1?

Thanks. What is the telling sign for you? Vin#?

The appearance of the seats. Gen 2 seats have much more side bolstering on the seat cushions and the back rest.

Watch Tesla Model S Seats Evolve Over Time

I should also clarify ... there are three versions of the seats. There's the classic like what you're buying, "next generation" with deep bolsters, and the current seats. At some point during the switch from classic to next generation, cars were getting next gen front seats and classic rear seats.

The appearance of the seats. Gen 2 seats have much more side bolstering on the seat cushions and the back rest.

I should also clarify ... there are three versions of the seats. There's the classic like what you're buying, "next generation" with deep bolsters, and the current seats. At some point during the switch from classic to next generation, cars were getting next gen front seats and classic rear seats.

per the video there are 4 generations of seats (nextgen being gen 3). Classic has 2 versions, which happened in Q4 2014 production I think. My car seems to be made around that time frame (late Q4 early Q1 maybe?) so I’m not sure. I think I’m gen 2 since pics don’t show the alcantara bolstering per the vid shows?

Photos of 2015 Tesla Model S

Anyone know if these are the gen 1 or gen 2 seats? Vin ends in 75xxx if that helps any. I watched some comparison videos but still hard to decipher since I think the only difference between gen 1 and 2 is additional bolstering/support?

It’s supposed to deliver this Wednesday and I have some concerns on the gen 1 seats from all the complaints I’ve read. Is gen 2 really better than 1?

The Gen 1 seats are not great seats. The Gen 2 (also called the Recaro seats) are much closer to the current Tesla seats. I had them in my 2014 P85D and loved them. I tried a friend's car with the Gen 1s and hated them.

Reactions: drummerboy7816

There was a window of maybe 4-5 months between Nov 2014 and early 2015 where the P85Ds and some 85Ds got next gen fronts and rears. I was never really clear on why the rears went away.

The Gen 1 seats are not great seats. The Gen 2 (also called the Recaro seats) are much closer to the current Tesla seats. I had them in my 2014 P85D and loved them. I tried a friend's car with the Gen 1s and hated them.

That's my struggle my right now.. debating if I should reject the delivery and wait for another 85D with next gen seats and all the other options/mileage/budget I want. It's hard though.. Once I actually see it, assuming no real issue, might be real hard to walk away from it, haha.. Another concerns is also 3G vs LTE, I think mine might be 3G which according to ATT, is planned to be sunset around 2021 or so..

That's my struggle my right now.. debating if I should reject the delivery and wait for another 85D with next gen seats and all the other options/mileage/budget I want. It's hard though.. Once I actually see it, assuming no real issue, might be real hard to walk away from it, haha.. Another concerns is also 3G vs LTE, I think mine might be 3G which according to ATT, is planned to be sunset around 2021 or so..

It's pretty cheap to add LTE. $500 I believe. The seats, on the other hand, you have to live with. Personally I would not buy a car with the pre-Next Gen seats. But it's up to you. Having had both, I find that the current Tesla's seats and the NG feel very similar. So if you sit in a new car that will give you an idea of what the NG seats feel like. And there are a lot of 2015 and earlier loaners, with the earlier seats, at the service depots. They would likely be willing to let you sit in one.

I concur with the posters above who said yes, those are the original (non next-gen) leather seats. Note that in early 2015, there were three choices for seats (black textile, various colors of leather original gen, or various colors of leather next gen)...I remember this because I specifically didn't pay extra for the next gen seats and just got the original gen leather (VIN in my sig...my car was configured a little bit later than the subject car in the original post).

In comparing my car with the current-day production cars' seats, I like the newer seats more. If I knew now what I knew then I probably would have sprung for the extra $1000 or so for the next-gen seats, to get the extra support from the side bolsters (someone above mentioned sliding around in turns). That having been said, I'd say the original gen seats are adequate but not distinguished.

Bruce.

PS. 3G to LTE upgrade is pretty straightforward. Some people have gotten it cheaper than the $500 it cost at the time I did it.

It's pretty cheap to add LTE. $500 I believe. The seats, on the other hand, you have to live with. Personally I would not buy a car with the pre-Next Gen seats. But it's up to you. Having had both, I find that the current Tesla's seats and the NG feel very similar. So if you sit in a new car that will give you an idea of what the NG seats feel like. And there are a lot of 2015 and earlier loaners, with the earlier seats, at the service depots. They would likely be willing to let you sit in one.

I did go to the nearby service/delivery center and ask if I can sit in the classic seats and nextgen but they indicated that they had none of either to try out; so I test drove a new P100D instead with newest gen seats. I found them generally comfortable, but notice the lower back spine curve hump sticking into my back a bit, prob because I didn't adjust the lumbar support properly. I guess I'll see this week. Good to know 3G to LTE is not very expensive.

I did go to the nearby service/delivery center and ask if I can sit in the classic seats and nextgen but they indicated that they had none of either to try out; so I test drove a new P100D instead with newest gen seats. I found them generally comfortable, but notice the lower back spine curve hump sticking into my back a bit, prob because I didn't adjust the lumbar support properly. I guess I'll see this week. Good to know 3G to LTE is not very expensive.

The lumbar is adjustable. If you like the current seats, I can almost assure that you’ll prefer the ng seats.

My 2016 MS had the Gen 1 (or 1.5) seats. I found them extremely uncomfortable. They were one of the main reasons I sold the car. Tesla refused to sell me upgraded seats, even though they had offered them in the past. They had no thigh support at all. I drove loaners with Next Gen seats and found them very comfortable. The current seats that come from the MX are pretty good too, but a little narrow for a fat guy like me.

When I took my car in for service, Tesla loaned me a 2017 P100D. The seats were so amazingly comfortable that I ordered a new Model S which I picked up yesterday. These seats are not comfortable (at least for my body) and I really want to find a way to purchase the super comfy seats with larger bolsters. (the next gen seats?). Please can anyone offer suggestions on where to find as Tesla no longer makes them? If I find them, will they even fit?

I have Gen 1 seats, they're fine...

I recently test drove a car with the next gen seats.... they are absurdly nice. The best car seats I have ever been in (and I used to own a Volvo S60 prior to the Tesla - which many still claim are the most comfy car seats ever made - I disagree lol)

I think that is pretty subjective. I recently had an issue on a road trip with my 75xxx VIN Model S, and was given a loaner with the Gen 2 seats to complete a leg. Basically, I got out of my car with Gen 1 seats after a four hour leg, got into the loaner and drove 7 hours with Gen 2 seats, then back into my car with the Gen 1 seats.

The Gen 2 seats have more side bolster for sure, but I find the Gen 1 seats more comfortable for highway driving. YMMV