Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this indicative of poor PPF installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my car paint protected with XPEL Ultimate (front and rear bumpers, full hood, A-pillar, full doors, front and rear fenders). From what I could tell the installation looked great (never had it done before, so no experience of what was a poor, good or great installation).

However at the completion of the installation, the installer was honorable enough to note the following (which he said is unavoidable and could clear up once the film cured):

1. Crumpled lines (stretch marks?)
2. air pockets

The crumpled lines/stretch marks remain (a month later) and most of the air pockets have disappeared. There are a few pockets remaining, and looks to be due to lint/dirt or something falling on the area when the PPF was installed. Is anyone else seeing these types of marks on their cars? they are mostly noticeable in certain lighting and angles.

Recently i've been noticing vertical lines (again depending on lighting and angle). These are mostly on my doors (well, that I can see due to lighting and angle). They are pretty evenly spaced, and looks to be the size of the squeegee that was used. So I am thinking that when they squeegee'd out the liquid underneath the film, they are marking the film with the corners of the squeegee? anyone else see this? am I being too...anal? None of my coworkers see these things until I point them out to them. LOL.

Don't have any pics right now (and not sure if they will show up on a photo), but will try to post something when I have a chance.

I've had my GT-R wrapped 3 times...it shouldn't have any crumple lines, stretch marks etc.

nothing is perfect...but those seem like something a good installer should be able to take car of.

Here is a pic of my GT-R getting changed from black to blue.

9616571817_bb03856d23_b.jpg

9616571863_4c6465afa5_b.jpg

9560316678_bb220d09f9.jpg

My PPF no crumple lines nor air pockets. It's SunTek rather than Xpel though. However, there shouldn't be any air pockets or crumple lines with Xpel either.

I think vinyl is a little easier to work with than paint protection films. Why don't you check out other cars with ppf that the installer has done to see if they have the same thing.

it can be easier as some films are thinner...but the principle is the same thing. Chrome wraps can be much much harder.
If you goto his website you can see some total car clear wrap that he has done (check out the photos section) with none of those issues.

He's also known around Dallas as the guy who fixes other "botched" wraps

Clear Bra | Paint Protection Films | Window Tint | Dallas-Fort Worth

crumple.jpg
lines.jpg

Not sure if the you can see in the photos. I've circled the areas that show the crumples (first pic) and the vertical lines (2nd pic). They are very hard to see, but you can see the distortion of the reflected image.

View attachment 29433View attachment 29434

Not sure if the you can see in the photos. I've circled the areas that show the crumples (first pic) and the vertical lines (2nd pic). They are very hard to see, but you can see the distortion of the reflected image.

My MS is getting wrapped as I type. Looks like you have a darker color. He recommended SunTek for me and this is why.

The Xpel has a slight “haze” to it on darker colors. The only downfall I have seen with SunTek is it will discolor slightly over time only on a white or bright silver car. The Xpel stands up better on light cars. On the flip side, the downfall of Xpel is that the adhesive is overly aggressive. That leads to distortion and stretch lines on darker color cars.

I have a full Xpel wrap on a Signature red car and none of those artifacts that are in your photos are on my car. A good install should be basically invisible. The only way you can tell that there is film on my car is to look for the lines where the film ends. That is only visible on a few places with my car. Your installer seems to have not taken the time or possibly have the skills to get it perfect.

Installing PPF is all dependent on the skill level and care of the person doing the install. I did have to pay a premium for the installer I worked with, but in the end, I was more than pleased with the results I received. The wrap is invisible for all practical purposes.

You live close enough in Cali to drive up to Nor Cal to the guys at Premier Protective Films in Fremont, CA. They are by far the best for clear bra, I chose not to get my car wrapped rather than let anyone else do it because I moved to Vegas and couldn't get back to Nor Cal to get the car wrapped this time. They've done my last 6-7 cars, people fly them out to foreign countries to do their super exotics Ferrari's and Lambo's, etc. If you see the quality of their work, you will not get pre-cut work done by any other installer ever again. Period.

I have full XPEL Ultimate wrap on a black MS. No lines, no stretch marks, no "haze" on dark color, no crumpling. Nada. Nothing. Flat out completely invisible. Only way you can even tell there is any film at all is by going on the inside of the tire rims and seeing where the lines are fully wrapped and ended. I'm sorry to say but you had a really bad installer. There should be absolutely no crumple marks or stretch lines and they know this too. That's a pretty shabby job, amateurish at best. I would demand full refund or re-wrap by a *real* professional installer.

View attachment 29433View attachment 29434

Looks pretty bad. I don't have any crumples like that on my armor. Who did this for you? Have you talked to them about it?

This is why factory trained XPel Ultimate trained helps because you get a better job and warranty. Parts and labor. I did have a few tiny bubbles that quickly disappeared. It did cost full price.

yep. only stick with the pros for the best. that's how I found my installer. I was the first MS he did, then I've recommended many other Tesla owners to him, and now it seems like he's getting swamped with Tesla's for PPF! awesome!

find your dealer using their online locator: http://locator.xpel.com/

these were in NJ: http://locator.xpel.com/clearbra_installers/listings/United_States/New_Jersey

from that list, my guy Lee @ Leeberbs http://www.leeberbs.com, is factory trained for all the XPEL films and has the DAP software to do cuts on site. does A+ awesome professional work, lots of photos up on his site (which links to his facebook acct). highly recommended if you are in the philly/NJ/NYC areas. he also does madico/wincos tint.

So at this point in the game, the only way to fix is to get it redone? Is this considered part of the warranty? I will talk to the installer (who by the way is on the XPEL list of trained installers) and see what can be done. The place was recommended by another S owner, but he only got the front covered, while I had 90% of the car covered. Also he had a different guy who installed so it could just be inexperience. I dont see any issues with the front, just doors and rear fenders.

Certainly give the installer the opportunity to make it right. However, keep in mind the manufacturer doesn't want a poor install job on display for the whole world to see as it reflects badly on their product. XPEL is a high end product and the quality of the installation needs to match that of a high end product. In short, seek the manufacturer's help if you can't get resolution from the installer.