Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this is a case for an autopilot failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot was active while I was driving I-5 in LA.
The truck was changing lanes to mine but autopilot didn't take action, so I took the control of the car.
I have applied brake first (ABS was engaged), then steered to the left lane.
Did I take the action too early, or autopilot has failed to recognize the situation?
I am not sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Behind
The truck was changing lanes to mine but autopilot didn't take action, so I took the control of the car.
I would phrase that as “autopilot did not take action before I took action”.

You did the right thing, and you responded to the truck moving into your lane before the car responded, obviously. It is possible that Auto Pilot would have responded and avoided an accident, and also possible it would have responded too late to avoid contact.

Tesla does not claim that Auto Pilot will avoid all possible accidents, and is very clear that the driver must always be attentive and ready to take over at any time.

Reactions: K3Man and Bogobec
Who knows? I suspect that the autopilot would have taken some action, but honestly, you took action a long time before I would have. At the point that you moved over, it was hard to tell the trucks intention (although after playing it a few times, I could see a dim blinker on)
I'd also have to question if you checked that the lane to you left was clear.
You indeed probably made a much smoother move than the autopilot, but I think that there would have been some reaction from it.

I would have taken over too. Autopilot is a useful tool, but passing cars in adjacent lanes with a significantly different speed is an area I try to be extra aware. It's risky with or without autopilot. Never can anticipate what others will do.

Hard to tell what AP would have eventually done. I'd generally rather not risk it.