Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this MCU or eMMC failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a May 2016 P90D. Lately it seems as though it’s taking a LITTLE longer for the IC to turn on when getting in the car.

A few times recently, I’ll get driving and realize the music isn’t on, or blinkers aren’t making any sound. The little blinker lights on the dash turn on, and the blinkers outside work, but no sound inside indicating they’re on and trying to make any music selection results in nothing.

I hold both buttons on the steering wheel until the main center screen goes black. Almost immediately the blinker sounds come back, but it takes a couple of minutes for the main center screen to come back up. When it does, everything functions normally.

Are these glitches? Signs that something is going belly up? If so, what does it sound like and what should I be looking to get repaired?

Thanks in advance.

There are lots of threads and posts about eMMC failure, and little or anything you can do to slow it down or stop it except put in a new part. Contact the service center and see about having them replace the failing chip with a new Tegra daughter board.
Haha. Good luck with that! I have 2017 MS MCU1 and I been losing audio and MCU controls randomly atleast 1-2 a month. Did the scroll reset and it takes 10min to reboot. Couple of times it took up to 20min and I thought I bricked my car. And yes my car takes a long time to start. And I don’t have the energy savings on either. I took it in to Buena Park Service center. Check all logs and even demonstrated and timed how long it took to come back and still they won’t do anything about it. Basically unless the screen is dead or completely black. They won’t touch it.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Haha. Good luck with that! I have 2017 MS MCU1 and I been losing audio and MCU controls randomly atleast 1-2 a month. Did the scroll reset and it takes 10min to reboot. Couple of times it took up to 20min and I thought I bricked my car. And yes my car takes a long time to start. And I don’t have the energy savings on either. I took it in to Buena Park Service center. Check all logs and even demonstrated and timed how long it took to come back and still they won’t do anything about it. Basically unless the screen is dead or completely black. They won’t touch it.

Every service center seems to be totally different. I have had great experiences with and service from the Owings Mills SC. I have a March 2017 S and went through 2 MCU 1's and I purchased the MCU 2 upgrade. Sorry to hear your bad experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and SO16
I have a May 2016 P90D. Lately it seems as though it’s taking a LITTLE longer for the IC to turn on when getting in the car.

A few times recently, I’ll get driving and realize the music isn’t on, or blinkers aren’t making any sound. The little blinker lights on the dash turn on, and the blinkers outside work, but no sound inside indicating they’re on and trying to make any music selection results in nothing.

I hold both buttons on the steering wheel until the main center screen goes black. Almost immediately the blinker sounds come back, but it takes a couple of minutes for the main center screen to come back up. When it does, everything functions normally.

Are these glitches? Signs that something is going belly up? If so, what does it sound like and what should I be looking to get repaired?

Thanks in advance.

probably failing. 2016 so you are due to die soon

Every service center seems to be totally different. I have had great experiences with and service from the Owings Mills SC. I have a March 2017 S and went through 2 MCU 1's and I purchased the MCU 2 upgrade. Sorry to hear your bad experiences.

It's true that different local service center might deal with the same issue differently but in the past, they were really eager to swap out MCU but lately, that's not the case anymore.

that is so true! Every Service Center is different! I been to maybe 5 different SC since I own my MS... the Buena Park one is the only one still giving out Tesla loaners under Enterprise... all others are Uber credits... but they refuse to fix any of my issues... I had better experiences with Costa Mesa SC...

MCU swaps were done a lot more liberally. Getting MCU2 is also easy.
I have an SC that is pretty good - but they won't do daughter board unless your screen is black. They stated it was from the top - not enough parts to go around. Presumably this is short term and it will get easier in a few months.

MCU swaps were done a lot more liberally. Getting MCU2 is also easy.
I have an SC that is pretty good - but they won't do daughter board unless your screen is black. They stated it was from the top - not enough parts to go around. Presumably this is short term and it will get easier in a few months.
In a few months... with every month more MCU1 cars falling out of warranty.

that is so true! Every Service Center is different! I been to maybe 5 different SC since I own my MS... the Buena Park one is the only one still giving out Tesla loaners under Enterprise... all others are Uber credits... but they refuse to fix any of my issues... I had better experiences with Costa Mesa SC...
I think what’s happening is that enterprise isn’t buying Tesla’s anymore. My local sc doesn’t give out loaners anymore and that’s because the enterprise around the corner no longer rents Tesla’s.

I was persistent and offered to pay the 300ish for a new board, even though I am well within warranty. Part to be installed at Agora Hills next week.

YSCMV...(your service center may vary)

Wondering is this situation has changed lately (they are more open to swap the part?).

Like a crazy coincidence just a couple weeks ago I received an email from Tesla about the emmc thing finally being handled as a recall, but they specifically state there to not make an appointment unless it fails.

Now, on my last 30 mile drive, I have navigation freeze, blinkers stop making a sound and I had to stop to reset the MCU. Two times! The whole MCU has been more sluggish than usual lately but that's, let's say, subjective. Does this warrant me at least trying to schedule the appointment or I'm wasting my time?

Wondering is this situation has changed lately (they are more open to swap the part?).

Like a crazy coincidence just a couple weeks ago I received an email from Tesla about the emmc thing finally being handled as a recall, but they specifically state there to not make an appointment unless it fails.

Now, on my last 30 mile drive, I have navigation freeze, blinkers stop making a sound and I had to stop to reset the MCU. Two times! The whole MCU has been more sluggish than usual lately but that's, let's say, subjective. Does this warrant me at least trying to schedule the appointment or I'm wasting my time?
Unfortunately, this exact stuff happened with my MCU1 as well. As has been said, right now it's a frenzy to get ahead of the MCU problem, and, unless your MCU1 is gonzo they won't replace the eMMC.

I paid the $1,500 for an MCU2 because I just got tired of the run around regardless of how polite they were about it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this exact stuff happened with my MCU1 as well. As has been said, right now it's a frenzy to get ahead of the MCU problem, and, unless your MCU1 is gonzo they won't replace the eMMC.

I paid the $1,500 for an MCU2 because I just got tired of the run around regardless of how polite they were about it.

Yeah, I'm considering doing the same but I still need to talk myself into the MCU2 upgrade being a good idea. To be honest, I don't see too many advantages, apart from snappier menu...

Reactions: 20165MS
Yeah, I'm considering doing the same but I still need to talk myself into the MCU2 upgrade being a good idea. To be honest, I don't see too many advantages, apart from snappier menu...

And the downside of loosing AM, and FM unless you pay for the upgrade, and possibly degraded rear camera visibility at night, plus, whenever someone takes apart a car, expect some damage .