Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this missing paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
This is a close-up photo of the gap in-between the top of the rear bumper and the bottom of the rear body panel. It looks to me like the paint is scraped off of one of the panels. Thoughts? Mobile service repair?

PS: The photo uploaded twisted 90 degrees. Sorry.

Attachments

• E2A57D83-0C18-4B18-B18D-AE1A94890FE8.jpeg
    E2A57D83-0C18-4B18-B18D-AE1A94890FE8.jpeg
    616.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Funny
Reactions: Brando
Are you talking about the lower right-hand quadrant of the picture? That does look like a scrape of some sort. I'm not sure how you could show that it's a defect as opposed to a post-delivery accident.

White vertical line dead center. (picture is turned sideways. It's a horizontal line.) Tesla just replaced the bumper.

That white section almost looks like a sticker that is visible between the panels.

As a side comment, the Deep Metallic Blue looks GREAT with naked Geminis.....

It looks more like a scrape with a magnifying glass, but my first thought was a sticker.
And yes they do! how anyone can say that naked Geminis are ugly is beyond me.

Reactions: DanDi58
That white section almost looks like a sticker that is visible between the panels.

As a side comment, the Deep Metallic Blue looks GREAT with naked Geminis.....
Ohh. To me, that looks like some kind of residue. Did you try to run a q-tip or something through there to see if it comes off? Or just water?

Lintless electronics cleaning swab with water. No change.

Unrelated question but do they not paint the door jambs? I opened the two front doors and the inner fenders with the door hinges are unpainted.

I just received my 2021 Model Y and have the same problem. Tesla is saying that it is within manufacturers spec, but I bought a blue model Y and I can see white in the gap from between the door and the fender when the door is closed. My Model S signature was not like this; no other cars I have ever owned (including a Prius that I currently own) have had this issue. To me, you should not be able to see any unpainted surfaces from the outside of the car especially when doors are closed. I believe it is a manufacturing defect that Tesla should fix.

I just received my 2021 Model Y and have the same problem. Tesla is saying that it is within manufacturers spec, but I bought a blue model Y and I can see white in the gap from between the door and the fender when the door is closed. My Model S signature was not like this; no other cars I have ever owned (including a Prius that I currently own) have had this issue. To me, you should not be able to see any unpainted surfaces from the outside of the car especially when doors are closed. I believe it is a manufacturing defect that Tesla should fix.

They won't fix it. I have it also. These cars have great tech but bad builds. Tesla figures if they just make all cars bad they are supposed to be that way so you can't claim it. My girlfriend will sometimes make fun of the Tesla cause her corolla is just made perfect. Tesla didn't even get my doors on straight.

I kind of want another company to bring them some competition so they are forced to clean up their quality to be more on par with mainstream. Right now they don't even need to paint the car and it will sell.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Not painting interior parts is standard on the 3/Y. You probably don't notice on pearl white as the primer is white. If you think the door jamb is bad take the 12v battery cover off under the frunk. Nothing is wrong with your car, and aside from aesthetics it's not functionally important. It saves a few ounces of paint and robot time so they skip it to get more cars out the door. If you want fit and finish buy a Porsche or Mercedez. If you want awesome tech buy a Tesla.

Not painting interior parts is standard on the 3/Y. You probably don't notice on pearl white as the primer is white. If you think the door jamb is bad take the 12v battery cover off under the frunk. Nothing is wrong with your car, and aside from aesthetics it's not functionally important. It saves a few ounces of paint and robot time so they skip it to get more cars out the door. If you want fit and finish buy a Porsche or Mercedez. If you want awesome tech buy a Tesla.
Is this how we should justify 60k car quality? A car equivalently priced to it’s competitors but has terrible paint quality just to get more cars out the door? Why can’t owners have both a fit and finish like a Porsche but have the tech like a Tesla?

90% of Service appts are due to fixing these issues that should have been correct from the factory! Living in SoCal, most appts are out 3 to 4 weeks.

If Tesla fixed these issues with the factory machines then Tesla would be able to improve service drastically. I and many other owners would never want to purchase a 60k car and have to service it a week later for poor quality.

I have never experienced these problems when owning any other car. Benz, Jag, Definitely not Lexus.

Tesla owners really need to push Elon to get Tesla their act together.

Have owned our Y since July 2020, not one passenger or guest driver has noticed or made any comments on some of the small unpainted areas on my Y. They all own HIGH-END cars so I thought it was something they would notice immediately. And I certainly don't care.

Reactions: DanDi58
Have owned our Y since July 2020, not one passenger or guest driver has noticed or made any comments on some of the small unpainted areas on my Y. They all own HIGH-END cars so I thought it was something they would notice immediately. And I certainly don't care.
I would certainly care. If I am paying 60k+ on a car, it should feel and look like a 60k car. I paid 55k+ for my M3. Luckily it was an almost perfect build. Just wish Tesla improved their quality standards so they wouldn't receive a bad reputation for it.