Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this noise normal?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the weather started warming up I've noticed that my car makes a pretty loud whining noise when it "wakes up". I'm not sure if its a coolant pump or the AC but it's definitely from the front of the car. It just seems to do it for a few seconds then all is well. Anyone else get this? I figured I'd ask before trying to get Tesla to look at it.

The car makes a lot of odd noises. The A/C makes a relatively loud buzzing and whooshing sound from the hood area when its running hard. The car also makes a 'clunk clunk' when the high voltage turns on, and a 'thud' when the high voltage turns off. In winter, if the battery is being preheated, the car makes a different kind of buzzing sound from the motors.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and gavine
Right?! :) Now it's time for "silent" A/C compressors/fans.

I’m sure it’s overkill and just adds cost, complexity, and weight but it would be nice if they could use quieter parts or encased in a muffle box.

I can say that when “parked” (or stopped) and the AC is on high, like if just turned on an set to low temp in summer weather, the car will actually vibrate. It’s entirety minor, and WAY less than an ICE car; but, it hat I love about the general concept of EV’s is the silence and lack of vibrations.