Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal battery degradation for this 2 year old long range model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a 2018 model 3 long range with 19s. I suck at math, please help me out to check if this is normal

Battery is charged to 90% and has 253 miles.

Car has 36,599 miles
Screenshot_20200917-054305.png
Screenshot_20200917-054225.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200917-054305.png
    Screenshot_20200917-054305.png
    86 KB · Views: 110
The pack voltage is very stable across most of the capacity percentage. If you never get near the top and near the bottom of capacity where voltage does begin to change rounding errors compound and it artificially makes it look like range has gone down. Haven't seen anyone report the rounding errors go the other way

If you are running the car way down to where voltage begins to drop the car isn't going to stop based on the miles displayed when you started, it will likely begin to reduce "range" by less than what is being travelled. Point being the rounding errors aren't hurting anything but your anxiety.

I went thru this and repeatedly ran the car way down and charged to 100% and regained some displayed range and just made myself worry too much.

My advise is stop worrying, even if it is real degradation nothing you can do about it till to crashes to the 70% warranty point.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The pack voltage is very stable across most of the capacity percentage. If you never get near the top and near the bottom of capacity where voltage does begin to change rounding errors compound and it artificially makes it look like range has gone down. Haven't seen anyone report the rounding errors go the other way

If you are running the car way down to where voltage begins to drop the car isn't going to stop based on the miles displayed when you started, it will likely begin to reduce "range" by less than what is being travelled. Point being the rounding errors aren't hurting anything but your anxiety.

I went thru this and repeatedly ran the car way down and charged to 100% and regained some displayed range and just made myself worry too much.

My advise is stop worrying, even if it is real degradation nothing you can do about it till to crashes to the 70% warranty point.

Thanks for the info, didn't know 70% was the warranty point... Not really worried just seemed like allot, think I read somewhere that degradation should be 6% or less at this point

That's pretty much normal from the data I've seen.

Model S/X have generally shown you need to get well north of 100,000mi before 10% loss in capacity. Based on TeslaFi data I've seen, this is happening around 30,000mi with Model 3. I assume the S/X data is influencing that 6% expectation you came across, but Model 3 is different.

The good news is that you shouldn't normally lose a lot more going forward on a yearly basis.

If you haven't done some "bad" practice continuously like using Sentry 24/7, don't hold out much hope for "recovering" any capacity. Retention loss is (unfortunately) normal.

Hmmm, wonder what's up with mine then

Your signature says you have an AWD, while @jakestgermain has a RWD. Those cars do NOT have the same starting point as far as reported miles.

There is likely nothing "wrong" with your car that you can do a single thing about. You likely do have some battery degredation, but there is also likely zero you can do about it. Tesla will do NOTHING until or unless your car reaches 70% degredation measured by their own tools.

your car started with a 310 range (not 320+ like RWD teslas were changed to). This means, tesla will not talk to you about degredation until your car shows 217 as a max charge at 100%. Until that time, you can monitor this all you want, but going to tesla talking about degredation when your car shows 253 at 90% will get you 1000% absolutely nowhere.

• Informative
Reactions: JTesmod3
My P3D has about 55k on the clock now.
At about 30k I was seeing a 90% charge of as low as 253.
Over the last summer it went back up and was charging as high as 268. As the weather gets colder its charging to about 260. These are 90% charge numbers, so full charge is about 288-290.

As an LR owner you might have started with more miles, so 253 isn't awesome, but neither is it a problem.

Just add 10% to your 90.

That's not correct. A closer approximation would be to add 11% to the stated range at 90% charge.

But as already pointed out, the stated range at any given charge level is just an approximation that can drift if you have been operating the car in the middle of it's range for a few weeks. The solution is to run it down low and then charge it up to near full so the Battery Monitoring System can more accurately determine the stat of charge.

That's not correct. A closer approximation would be to add 11% to the stated range at 90
That's not correct. A closer approximation would be to add 11% to the stated range at 90% charge.

But as already pointed out, the stated range at any given charge level is just an approximation that can drift if you have been operating the car in the middle of it's range for a few weeks. The solution is to run it down low and then charge it up to near full so the Battery Monitoring System can more accurately determine the stat of charge.
seems like the right thing to do, but it didn’t work for me, some other guy in the other tread, was charging to 50% drained down to 10% and back up to 50%, he got better results, I am doing the same but at 52% I am getting some range back.

Fred