Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal for ppf and window tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just got my car back 2 days ago for full front ppf and window tints. It’s my first time having ppf done. Both of my side mirror ppf doesn’t seem to be a clean cut finish. The front bumper has a bubble in the ppf. See the attached photos. Will these issues cure themselves over a few days?

Also, on my two front window tint there is a piece of particle that you can feel stuck between the tint and window causing a bubble. Would it be reasonable to ask them to redo those windows? The shop I worked with wants me to come back in a week to check on their work and I’m hoping they’ll take care of these issues if it’s not normal. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 5A4B8443-E2B8-4577-AB1E-2A01BD4212F4.jpeg
    5A4B8443-E2B8-4577-AB1E-2A01BD4212F4.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 44C8A4E4-E4F9-424E-869B-ABF869B39CF7.jpeg
    44C8A4E4-E4F9-424E-869B-ABF869B39CF7.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 5FDD7BE6-DE23-4E86-BC36-F56213FA5EAD.jpeg
    5FDD7BE6-DE23-4E86-BC36-F56213FA5EAD.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 44526778-5E80-41A1-871E-DF42126D6AF9.jpeg
    44526778-5E80-41A1-871E-DF42126D6AF9.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 6BAAF13E-4D74-46C8-B140-4BA989E432E5.jpeg
    6BAAF13E-4D74-46C8-B140-4BA989E432E5.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 17DFD526-0FC4-42D8-923A-C79F43523E5A.jpeg
    17DFD526-0FC4-42D8-923A-C79F43523E5A.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 284
If the installer is concerned about quality, they should fix your issues. I've never had PPF done, but If I did, I'd insist on no wrinkles, no lifting edges, cleanly sculpted lines around the curves (mirror), NO imperfections under the PPF.

If you went to a discounted installer, it might not get any better than what you've got.

How much did you pay? Complete front clip (full fenders, hood, bumper)?

If the installer is concerned about quality, they should fix your issues. I've never had PPF done, but If I did, I'd insist on no wrinkles, no lifting edges, cleanly sculpted lines around the curves (mirror), NO imperfections under the PPF.

If you went to a discounted installer, it might not get any better than what you've got.

How much did you pay? Complete front clip (full fenders, hood, bumper)?

I’m hoping they make things right. They’re a reputable vendor I found on this forum. The amount I paid was a discounted bundle with other things. It came out to about $1500 for the full front ppf portion (fender hood bumper mirror)

I have more lifting edges on my PPF that was just done and a couple bubbles. The mirror cuts were cleaner though. The shop wants to wait two weeks for a QC check. I paid much more for their experienced hand cut. Wondering if since it’s a Tesla and not the Porsche, Ferrari, or AMG that were there if I got the same quality. Those cars were flawless.

I did tint separately because the PPF shop didn’t do tint. Lots of areas that look like bubbles, but was told it needs time to cure, especially since it’s Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic. Said at least 10 days in the current rainy weather, if not longer.

Hey guys,

Just got my car back 2 days ago for full front ppf and window tints. It’s my first time having ppf done. Both of my side mirror ppf doesn’t seem to be a clean cut finish. The front bumper has a bubble in the ppf. See the attached photos. Will these issues cure themselves over a few days?

Also, on my two front window tint there is a piece of particle that you can feel stuck between the tint and window causing a bubble. Would it be reasonable to ask them to redo those windows? The shop I worked with wants me to come back in a week to check on their work and I’m hoping they’ll take care of these issues if it’s not normal. Thanks for your input!

The side view mirrors are difficult to PPF cleanly due to their curves. What you're seeing are stretch marks due to them having to pull the PPF of the mirror to structure it. When you go back for your 1 week follow-up visit with XE, tell them you're not happy with the sideview mirrors. They'll redo it on the spot, at least they did for me.

RE: The bubbles under the PPF, they may or may not cure itself due to the amount of air/water trapped underneath. During your follow-up visit, point it out, and they will use a syringe with a small needle to poke and suck out the air/water. Again, they did the same thing for me. Note that it bubble could be due to a rock chip that was present before the PPF was installed, and in which case nothing can be done about it (there's a gap in the clear coat).

Thanks for everyone’s response! The information was very helpful. The bubble on bumper looks like it’s almost gone, the air bubbles in the tints are gone but the particle stuck in it can be felt and I don’t know how I feel about that. The side mirror looks like it’s starting to lift. I’ll bring up the issues and see.

looks like a crap install. The first pics are of someone who installed ppf, then pulled it off the car, creating marks and tiny bubbles. Even if sunlight dries out the tiny bubbles, the ppf will always have those creases and you'll see them in sunlight.

The other pics look like dirt under the ppf. Happens if the work area isn't clean or they didn't clean the car properly. If it's just a bubble and no dirt, it will go away over time if exposed to heat/sunlight. If it's dirt, then it won't ever go away.

I have full front ppf, hood, fenders, a piller, headlights, front bumper, etc. Edges wrapped, so there's no visible ppf lines anywhere. Zero issues. The installer does a lot of high end cars, ferrari, lambo, porsche, so my model 3 is likely one of the cheaper cars he installs on.

!!20190409_110617.jpg