TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is this normal for the windshield? (not a ghosting question)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MiddKid, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

Three days into my 44xxx 100D. Yes I have ghosting...even during the day. Sigh. But here's my question.

I've worn Smith polarized sunglasses for the last few years. Zero issues. Today was our first sunny day since picking up the car and I put my sunglasses on. Suddenly all the cars off to the sides of my windshield had a strange rainbow polarization issue. I say sides because I didn't notice it when looking straight ahead, but saw it looking off to both sides. I'm attaching two pictures sitting in the parking lot. One just looking through the windshield. On the other I held up my sunglasses to my phone. You can see the purple/rainbow color cast over all the windows and even the black paint job of the car next to me. Looking out the side window everything looked normal. Didn't have this issue with my Model S nor any other car I've driven with these sunglasses. After awhile I started to get a headache and even felt a little nauseous! Anyone else have this? Is this "normal?" Ironically the sunglasses stopped the ghosting...but then created this issue.

NormalX.jpg
    RainbowX.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

(a) Polarized lenses filter out light rays that are not aligned with the polar direction of the lenses.

(b) The windshield was formed under heat and doesn't cool evenly, causing the glass to develop uneven stress areas. These stress areas can cause different wavelengths of light to be refracted and/or polarized differently (called stressed birefringence).

The two together (lens + windshield) can cause this rainbow pattern and also the checkered pattern you see in rear-view windows of other cars. Rotating your lenses 90º will completely change the pattern (try it out and let us know what you see).

Other than wearing non-polarized glasses, I'm not sure what else can be done to eliminate/reduce this issue. You could try tinting your windshield, which typically minimizes the effect.

Theoretically, you could try to "anneal" the windshield (heat it to allow the molecular bonds to reform more uniformly) but the windshield would have to be totally supported with zero stress. Not really a viable solution without large and expensive equipment.

• Informative x 2
  3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

I have similar issue on the sides of the windshield. Nothing much to do to fix it.

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Ghosting: "a faint double image on a television screen"

I remember in the old days I had to turn the TV antenna and fine-tune the ring around a channel dial knob to control "ghosting".

There have been reports of ghosting as in seeing doubles (2 traffic light assemblies for 1 same one, 2 pairs of opposite headlights from 1 same pair...)

I haven't noticed that on mine but I do experience what you show on the pictures: rainbow color effects depending on the angle.

It's a nice colorful effect and I am totally fine with that.

5. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

Thanks everyone. I'll look into some non-polarized lenses. The rainbow colors drive me nuts.

In other news I'm out driving around at dusk now and I'd consider my ghosting extreme. Headlights hovering over the oncoming cars. Ugh. I'll have Tesla test it but I'm sure they'll tell me it's within spec!

6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

My S ghosts and my X rainbows......if you fixate on them, it'll drive you nuts.

7. DougH

DougH Active Member

8. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

HA HA we posted at the same time @MiddKid ------nuts it is!! :rolleyes:

9. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

I'd ask them why they care so much about a 5 star safety rating in all categories, when 4 would still be within "spec" ;)

• Funny x 1
  10. yli319

yli319 Member

Same issue.
    42xxx 100D
    They keep telling me it's normal.
    I don't know how make it normal, is it a real issue?
    No idea how to fix and make me headache

11. Kanting

Kanting Member

I have been used to all kinds of funny colors my polarized sunglasses give me and sometimes I think I see something I shouldn't see. Just don't trust the colors, look, the bottom image is very contrasty! :)