TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this normal (gap between body and frunk)?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by NJSchu, Dec 4, 2019.

1. NJSchu

NJSchu Member

Hi All,

First let me say that I love my new TM3 Performance. I picked it up a week ago, and it is an absolute joy to drive. The only real issue I have is that there is a large gap between the body of the car and the frunk trim.

Tesla says they will add clips and that should close up the gap somewhat, but that there will always be a gap there. I just wanted to know if this is normal, or if they are just blowing smoke.

Any input, or even better pictures, would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

TIA

Attached Files:

2. David Farmer

David Farmer Member

Mine looks the same, built in October 2019. I can't say for others since I don't often find them with the hood open.

3. texas_star_TM3

busted frunk clips... with the frunk clips the gap will be smaller - but still noticeable. Mine looked like yours after local SC replaced windshield and busted some frunk clips while doing so. Mobile Service replaced the clips a few weeks later. The area under frunk is NOT a dry area... so it's mostly cosmetic having a smaller gap ..

• Like x 1
  4. Ivan Abundance

Same gap on mine, from last July. Seems normal and harmless, I don't know if there's any aero aspect to having it open that way instead of sealed.

5. GreenHokie

GreenHokie Member

I agree with texas_star_TM3. Looks like you may have some busted or missing black clips that are supposed to hold that frunk liner closer to the fender body. There are 3 clips located on each side of the fender body. When I installed my power Frunk kit, I broke 2 of the 3 black clips that run along the passenger side front fender body. As a result, there was a significant gap between the frunk liner and fender body when I re-installed everything (just like the gap shown in your photo). Once I replaced those two broken clips, that gap went back to "normal" (i.e. almost no gap).

Hope this helps.