Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal (gap between body and frunk)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

First let me say that I love my new TM3 Performance. I picked it up a week ago, and it is an absolute joy to drive. The only real issue I have is that there is a large gap between the body of the car and the frunk trim.

Tesla says they will add clips and that should close up the gap somewhat, but that there will always be a gap there. I just wanted to know if this is normal, or if they are just blowing smoke.

Any input, or even better pictures, would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG-1421.jpg
    IMG-1421.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 260
busted frunk clips... with the frunk clips the gap will be smaller - but still noticeable. Mine looked like yours after local SC replaced windshield and busted some frunk clips while doing so. Mobile Service replaced the clips a few weeks later. The area under frunk is NOT a dry area... so it's mostly cosmetic having a smaller gap ..

Reactions: ZappCatt
I agree with texas_star_TM3. Looks like you may have some busted or missing black clips that are supposed to hold that frunk liner closer to the fender body. There are 3 clips located on each side of the fender body. When I installed my power Frunk kit, I broke 2 of the 3 black clips that run along the passenger side front fender body. As a result, there was a significant gap between the frunk liner and fender body when I re-installed everything (just like the gap shown in your photo). Once I replaced those two broken clips, that gap went back to "normal" (i.e. almost no gap).

Hope this helps.

I agree with texas_star_TM3. Looks like you may have some busted or missing black clips that are supposed to hold that frunk liner closer to the fender body. There are 3 clips located on each side of the fender body. When I installed my power Frunk kit, I broke 2 of the 3 black clips that run along the passenger side front fender body. As a result, there was a significant gap between the frunk liner and fender body when I re-installed everything (just like the gap shown in your photo). Once I replaced those two broken clips, that gap went back to "normal" (i.e. almost no gap).

Hope this helps.
Hope I'm not digging to far back in the past.... Where did you get the clips to replace the broken one? I did the same think last night but can't find them anywhere online. Did you have to get them from a Tesla Service Center? Thanks!

Dec 2019 purchase M3P..exactly the same as OPs and is normal as far as I cant tell (4 friends all have Model 3's and they are exactly the same...how do I know? Because we discussed this very thing when one of them mentioned this gap about 3 months ago. We all checked and verified!). No clips broken here. No issues at all.