Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal? Or, defect? Leathers seats wrinkle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My BMW has faux leather seats. Hate them.
They didn’t breath, and I had the drivers seat replaced 3 times because of splits.
Finally they refused to honour the warranty.

Not bashing BMW, I liked the car. They had crappy material though.
The material in this car “M3” is already holding up much better.
Almost 20,000 km’s on it, and not a wrinkle or mark.
BMW splits started much sooner.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
There’s nothing wrong with pre owned and even high mileage if it looks great and drives ok, but I wouldn’t suggest adding another motor and def not rear facing seats!

{Geez, I wonder which part of the thread he is talking about}
Well, if truth be told, my model has aged fairly well over the last 37 years. The suspension could use a little work but the engine and drivetrain is still going strong. What were we talking about again??

Oh yeah... my 2000 BMW 323i came with leather (not leatherette) seats. They have held up pretty good with absolutely no care on my part. Sure there's a couple of places where the side stitching has torn but the seating surfaces, while a little dirty, have held up without ripping. I can only hope that my 3 does as well.

Hi

I noticed that my rear seats had wrinkles in 3 different places. It is a new car and we just owned it for 8 days. We observed the wrinkles after a long drive of 500 miles round trip. The car has a total of 600 miles on it now. My son who is 8 and weighs 50lbs was the only person sitting in the rear. I would say these are not very durable and high quality seats. We have the white interior.

Never had any issue like this with Mercedes MBTex seats. I had beige interiors on C300 and did not see any wrinkles in 3 years of lease. Even the lease return inspector was amazed by the condition of the Mercedes seats.

Regards
S

Attachments

• 9612899A-E277-4A34-B957-9AC5832B3261.jpeg
    9612899A-E277-4A34-B957-9AC5832B3261.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 8707DB07-C044-4ED4-A8D9-40039CF143F5.jpeg
    8707DB07-C044-4ED4-A8D9-40039CF143F5.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 254
I started to notice the wrinkles also 5k miles, submitted a service ticket:

Those aren’t wrinkles; that’s “patina” ;)

Seriously though, in detailing groups we always see people worried about wrinkles on the driver’s seat that aren’t matched on the passenger’s seat. It’s just life, really. Looks more like a natural material with the variations!

Maybe that’s why ‘ruched leather’ was a thing for a while - so it came with lots of wrinkles brand-new. BMW etc. were keen on it.

-Alex

There actually are some QC issues here. Before I got a perfect 3P, I had to reject one. Main reason was unfixable dents, but it also had very bad wrinkles in seats. Some 3s worse than others. @San1234 I don’t think these were caused by your child... I suspect they were there since new and you didn’t notice. And, fwiw they aren’t near as bad as the seats in the car I refused.