Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is This Normal Phantom Drain? - 2021 Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stop the teslafi as well, nothing but the official tesla app. In my day job I troubleshoot stuff for a living, and "troubleshooting 101" is "get back to a known state, and test, and ensure there is no problem before adding anything else. Then, add 1 item , and test. Repeat till you have everything you want installed, or you have found the issue"

teslafi is fine as you can see the car is sleeping, just something wakes it up. once the car sleeps teslafi wont wake it up. i think its likely something else i.e. the stats app.

Tesla not sleeping any longer. I looked at the raw data and saw no attempts at trying to go to sleep. I reset my router and moved it closer to the Tesla and I did a hard reset of the car. Now it shows that it’s attempting to sleep but after 15 minutes it fails. It’s done this 2 times already. Any ideas?

Tesla not sleeping any longer. I looked at the raw data and saw no attempts at trying to go to sleep. I reset my router and moved it closer to the Tesla and I did a hard reset of the car. Now it shows that it’s attempting to sleep but after 15 minutes it fails. It’s done this 2 times already. Any ideas?

do you have any third party apps? If not then delete your wifi connection in the car and see if it sleeps. If this doesnt work either put the car forcefully to sleep via the menu and see if it stays asleep (power off button)

Last edited:
Change your Tesla password and do not provide to 3rd party apps.

I had to stop using Stats because it was waking up my car every hour. I had to change my password to break the connection (app logout alone does not work). I spoke with the developer but he was not helpful, said it wasn’t Stats (it was, since I changed my password, and only reconnecting Stats reproduced the behavior - whereupon I had to change my password again). YMMV.

I miss Stats but oh well. Maybe I should try again to see if the bug is fixed.

If you want to monitor sleep status, get a 12V battery monitor.

I suppose it makes the most sense to point the finger at 3rd-party apps keeping the car awake, but if you look at the Stats data:
IMG_0043.jpeg

It shows a histogram of Stats users. How can someone have 0.0miles/hr of range use, if Stats is always polling the car and keeping it awake? How could the Mode, be so low, around 0.16miles/hr, for Stats users if it was keeping the car awake? That's not to say some quirk may affect a handful of users, but the aggregate data seems to indicate that there is no issue for Stats owners.

Now, someone recently posted that a sleeping car uses about 30w/hr, and that works out to ~0.12miles/hr. So, a 0.16 miles/hr drain rate for a fleet of cars, with some using Sentry and some using Smart summon and some using overheat protection, etc., thru all different climates, seems fairly reasonable.

I have no 3rd party apps and I lose about 1.5 miles a day if I am gone. A very low level and I typically will only check every 2nd or third day as to not disturb the sleep cycle. I strongly think third party software or even constant checking with the app keeps the car from sleeping and thus burns more power.
THIS^^^^^
As I've posted many times, leave the car alone. I've never had a third party App. I haven't lost a mile of projected range and I hardly have any phantom drain.
The car likes to be left alone.

Reactions: dhrivnak
How can someone have 0.0miles/hr of range use, if Stats is always polling the car and keeping it awake?
Bad data. Stats is also probably fitting a curve to the datapoints and plotting it, so there may be no datapoints there.
Now, someone recently posted that a sleeping car uses about 30w/hr, and that works out to ~0.12miles/hr.

That's too high when sleeping. It's closer to 10W AFAIK.

The Stats data works out to about 0.15mi/hr, which is 3.6 miles per day, which is actually fairly high. It's possible to do considerably better. However, there are a lot of things that drive the drain so hard to conclude whether Stats is doing something to increase it.

I'll note that in my case I'm not sure it was having a LARGE impact on the actual drain since it would only be awake for a few minutes at a time, about 15 or more times per day. Most of the time it was still sleeping, but it was waking up all the time and then sleeping again. But it was slamming those contactors which I didn't like. Clunk clunk clunk all day long (so it was definitely sleeping, fitfully, a lot). I'm sure it was increasing the drain, but probably only from a couple miles a day to 3-4.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I've had the stats app for a few months now and I don't see my own phantom drain on that chart...sup with that! I assumed time for awhile, then I just started assuming it was not going to show how I am relative to the curve...and then I see this thread and others are seeing how they are relative to the curve with that sexy dashed green line...I want a sexy dashed green line.

• Funny
I suppose it makes the most sense to point the finger at 3rd-party apps keeping the car awake, but if you look at the Stats data:
View attachment 651746
It shows a histogram of Stats users. How can someone have 0.0miles/hr of range use, if Stats is always polling the car and keeping it awake? How could the Mode, be so low, around 0.16miles/hr, for Stats users if it was keeping the car awake? That's not to say some quirk may affect a handful of users, but the aggregate data seems to indicate that there is no issue for Stats owners.

Now, someone recently posted that a sleeping car uses about 30w/hr, and that works out to ~0.12miles/hr. So, a 0.16 miles/hr drain rate for a fleet of cars, with some using Sentry and some using Smart summon and some using overheat protection, etc., thru all different climates, seems fairly reasonable.

once the 12v battery has degraded a bit the 12V tops ups very quickly. The topup happens too quickly to be recorded by i.e. Teslafi so it looks like the car never looses any range when its sleeping. ( on a 3kw outlet)

• Informative

Tesla alone is ok
Stats app alone is ok
TeslaFi plus Stats may not be ok.
this is because both apps query the car and cannot coordinate with each other.
Change your password and stop using TeslaFi and it’d be ok. Also reboot the car.

I've had the stats app for a few months now and I don't see my own phantom drain on that chart...sup with that! I assumed time for awhile, then I just started assuming it was not going to show how I am relative to the curve...and then I see this thread and others are seeing how they are relative to the curve with that sexy dashed green line...I want a sexy dashed green line.
Enable this if you want to see that vertical line (also mentioned in the FAQ inside the app).
1617894704666.png

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and Tarpan