Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is This Normal Phantom Drain? - 2021 Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've been using the Stats app for a few months and I've noticed that my phantom drain is on the higher side as compared with others who use the Stats app (see image). Yesterday I signed up for Teslafi to see what's going on and I'm not sure if this is normal sleep patterns. If not what would you recommend?

a few details:
This is the phantom drain at my home. No sentry mode activated for my home.

Last edited:
Something is not allowing the car to stay in sleep mode, once ours sleeps, it rarely wakes until we access the car physically or through the Tesla App.
Disable any other 3rd party service you are using other than TeslaFi.
Our M3 goes to sleep after about 40 minutes using TeslaFi's default settings.
If you open the Tesla app that will wake the car up.
If you can't figure out why it isn't staying asleep, change your Tesla password and only update it in TeslaFi to see if that fixes the issue.

Something is not allowing the car to stay in sleep mode, once ours sleeps, it rarely wakes until we access the car physically or through the Tesla App.
Disable any other 3rd party service you are using other than TeslaFi.
Our M3 goes to sleep after about 40 minutes using TeslaFi's default settings.
If you open the Tesla app that will wake the car up.
If you can't figure out why it isn't staying asleep, change your Tesla password and only update it in TeslaFi to see if that fixes the issue.

The only app/service im using is Stats App and now Teslafi. Should I try and disable Stats app?

TeslaFi has settings you can adjust to make sure the car sleeps, so check those.
The Op just signed up yesterday for TeslaFi to investigate higher than normal phantom drain, which it is showing the car getting woke up on a regular basis.
I wouldn't mess with the TeslaFi sleep settings unless necessary.
Once the initial Stats app is disabled that will indicate if the issue is with that service that has been in use for several months and the likely cause of the higher than average phantom drain unless the Tesla App being open on a regular basis is the problem.

Hi, I've been using the Stats app for a few months and I've noticed that my phantom drain is on the higher side as compared with others who use the Stats app (see image). Yesterday I signed up for Teslafi to see what's going on and I'm not sure if this is normal sleep patterns. If not what would you recommend?

a few details:
This is the phantom drain at my home. No sentry mode activated for my home.

It's because you are using more than one 3rd-party Tesla app. This is because apps cannot coordinate with each other when they query the car to collect data and they query at different time in such a way that can prevent sleep. Each of those apps are fine on their own but when used together, this lack of sleep can happen.

It's because you are using more than one 3rd-party Tesla app. This is because apps cannot coordinate with each other when they query the car to collect data and they query at different time in such a way that can prevent sleep. Each of those apps are fine on their own but when used together, this lack of sleep can happen.
The Stats app was the only app I was using since getting my car in January, and it has always shown a higher phantom drain then other model 3 Stats app users. I only installed teslafi yesterday to investigate

Reactions: tstolze
Whenever a car wont sleep, the very FIRST thing one should do to troubleshoot, is remove access to all third party apps (including watch apps, etc), by changing your tesla password, then taking a day or two to check what is going on after nothing but the official telsa app is connecting the car.

After that point, then add 1 app back at a time, pay careful attention to see if anything changes, and repeat till you find what it is.

Whenever a car wont sleep, the very FIRST thing one should do to troubleshoot, is remove access to all third party apps (including watch apps, etc), by changing your tesla password, then taking a day or two to check what is going on after nothing but the official telsa app is connecting the car.

After that point, then add 1 app back at a time, pay careful attention to see if anything changes, and repeat till you find what it is.
Thanks. I've changed the password and now only Teslafi is collecting data. Will report back in a day or two

Reactions: tstolze
Thanks. I've changed the password and now only Teslafi is collecting data. Will report back in a day or two

Stop the teslafi as well, nothing but the official tesla app. In my day job I troubleshoot stuff for a living, and "troubleshooting 101" is "get back to a known state, and test, and ensure there is no problem before adding anything else. Then, add 1 item , and test. Repeat till you have everything you want installed, or you have found the issue"

Stop the teslafi as well, nothing but the official tesla app. In my day job I troubleshoot stuff for a living, and "troubleshooting 101" is "get back to a known state, and test, and ensure there is no problem before adding anything else. Then, add 1 item , and test. Repeat till you have everything you want installed, or you have found the issue"
How is he supposed to know if the car is sleeping and track it without opening the Tesla app which will wake the car up?
This is a satisfactory process, remove the only app that was being used, replace it with an app that is known to allow the car to sleep.
If the car still isn't sleeping with TeslaFi, then yes, remove it and continue troubleshooting.

How is he supposed to know if the car is sleeping and track it without opening the Tesla app which will wake the car up?
This is a satisfactory process, remove the only app that was being used, replace it with an app that is known to allow the car to sleep.
If the car still isn't sleeping with TeslaFi, then yes, remove it and continue troubleshooting.

You can easily see if the car is sleeping without teslafi, or any other third party app, by seeing how long it takes the tesla app to access the car. Also, the tesla widget (at least for ios) will show the car sleeping without even opening the tesla app, no third party app needed.

For proper / best troubleshooting you want to remove as many variables as possible, and teslafi can also keep the car awake, if its not configured properly. Its better to remove all third party app variables, see if the car sleeps, then start adding them back. Of course, people can do whatever they want /shrug. I was just giving the best method for determining what the issue is.

The Stats app was the only app I was using since getting my car in January, and it has always shown a higher phantom drain then other model 3 Stats app users. I only installed teslafi yesterday to investigate
I suggest changing your tesla password and rebooting the car. Once you’ve done that log out from Stats and log back in.
the average drain rate shown in Stats is the average taken over 10 days, so it will take at least 10-15 days for the number shown in the histogram for your car to change.
Now that teslaFi has your credentials, they will keep collecting data and wake up the car. You need to de-register your car with teslaFi to stop this

I suggest changing your tesla password and rebooting the car. Once you’ve done that log out from Stats and log back in.
the average drain rate shown in Stats is the average taken over 10 days, so it will take at least 10-15 days for the number shown in the histogram for your car to change.
Now that teslaFi has your credentials, they will keep collecting data and wake up the car. You need to de-register your car with teslaFi to stop this
The higher than average phantom drain was with Stats configured and pulling data, that is why I suggested removing it and monitoring with TeslaFI.... TeslaFi was just added yesterday, and normally allows your car to sleep and not wake it.

I have no 3rd party apps and I lose about 1.5 miles a day if I am gone. A very low level and I typically will only check every 2nd or third day as to not disturb the sleep cycle. I strongly think third party software or even constant checking with the app keeps the car from sleeping and thus burns more power.

Reactions: toolman335
The higher than average phantom drain was with Stats configured and pulling data, that is why I suggested removing it and monitoring with TeslaFI.... TeslaFi was just added yesterday, and normally allows your car to sleep and not wake it.
Stats app shows the histogram of phantom drain rate across all users inside the app and the mode of the distribution is at 0.15 miles per hour for model 3.
To summarize:
- TeslaFi alone: ok
- Stats alone: ok
-TeslaFi + Stats: may not be ok (because they cannot coordinate when to collect data from the car)

I don’t know what happened but now my car won’t sleep at all. I installed the Hannshow diy audio cable yesterday and last night my car didn’t sleep at all. I did the install around noon yesterday and the car did sleep for a few hours in the afternoon, but since plugging in the car for the evening the car hasn’t slept at all. In the evening I tried adjusting some Teslafi sleep settings but before bed I reset it all to default and woke up to see my car didn’t sleep at all. I have not have any third party apps running. Any ideas?