TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is this normal sleep behavior?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Muzzman1, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Since I took delivery of my car in March of 2014, I have never allowed the car to "sleep" I always have VisibleTesla in "daydream" mode.
    About 2 weeks ago I left the country put the car at 50% charge plugged it in, set VisibleTesla on "allow sleep"

The curiosity began killing me, I had to check on the car so I opened the iPhone app to check on the car. It never woke up! I remoted into my desktop running VisibleTesla and the graph hadn't moved for the past 3 days.
    Luckily my sister in law is at the house, so I had her grab the key and see if the screens were alive 12V etc.

Here's the part I want to know:

When she walked up the handles did not present. I had her press the roof on the fob. They handles presented, car woke up etc. I still could not get into the car over iPhone app. I had her reboot main screen, and I regained access on iPhone, as well as visibleTesla.

So question is: When the car deep sleeps, should the handles present upon approach?
    When the car deep sleeps, does the iPhone app actually wake the car??

2. swegman

swegman Member

If you don't use the car for a 24 hour period, the handles will not auto-extend upon approaching the car. In this instance, you touch the handle with your hand, and they will then extend so that you can open the car. This is normal, according to Tesla.

Prior to about version 4.2 of the software, the handles would auto-present whenever you approached the vehicle, even if it sat unused for a week. Somewhere around version 4.2, the operation changed to that described above. When I spoke to Tesla about it (because I thought I had a problem with my car), they said it was a feature of the software. I think it is bug that they have never sought to fix.

I don't know about the iPhone app.

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

The iPhone app wakes the car. It sometimes takes a minute or so, but your iPhone should have a message saying "Waking car" or something like that.

4. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

@sweg, thanks. Good to know.

@CGI, yes I saw that message, waited a few mins with no change. What really threw me off was VT had no data for last 3 days.

5. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

My opinion, FWIW, it's related to reducing vampire drain, so is a trade off. Calling it a 'feature' is kind of funny, though.