Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal with my connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some advice please.
Getting ready for my model 3.
I setup a nema 14/50 ext cord 25ft to reach over a car further where the outlet is. I noticed it fits a little loose (Wiggles with force) on the nema 14/50 outlet . I spread the connection prongs a little which helped. It’s still has a little wiggle if moved side to side forcefully, should I be worried. I also adjusted the weight by putting cable anchors on the wall. So basically, the cable hangs directly down without stress. If I don’t try to move its ok. Maybe I’m just a little over cautious?
I am waiting for the 50 amp breaker that I ordered to be able to test the other end for any issues.
I am not sure if a little side to side wiggle is normal and if it will be a potential problem.

It’s still has a little wiggle if moved side to side forcefully, should I be worried.

At least a little. What exact 14-50 did you install? Did you buy one from a big box store (home depot / lowes) like a leviton? If so, the springs in those wear out fairly quickly as these things go. I wouldnt want any play at all in a connection of that type.

If you got an inexpensive outlet from lowes / home depot, take it back if you just got it, and get one from bryant or hubble.

Here is a legacy (but good) thread on the topic.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
At least a little. What exact 14-50 did you install? Did you buy one from a big box store (home depot / lowes) like a leviton? If so, the springs in those wear out fairly quickly as these things go. I wouldnt want any play at all in a connection of that type.

If you got an inexpensive outlet from lowes / home depot, take it back if you just got it, and get one from bryant or hubble.

Here is a legacy (but good) thread on the topic.

I appreciate that, I am going to ask my electrician where and what type the Nema box it is when he comes back to install the breaker.
Should there be any wiggle at all if moved with force?
I do not plan on unplugging this connection. If anything the connection on the other end would be unplugged if I need to take the car cable on a trip.

Last edited:
This is the plug

Attachments

• CF1FA961-BBB7-483F-9379-57B9324B627F.jpeg
    CF1FA961-BBB7-483F-9379-57B9324B627F.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 78
First, it probably shouldn't wiggle, unless it's the receptacle wiggling in the housing. The plug shouldn't wiggle in the receptacle.

Remove the extension cable and take a pic of the actual receptacle, the black part, not the box. It might say what brand of receptacle it is on the black part.

If it's loose, it'll heat up when drawing a load. Do you have a thermo reader?

• Helpful
First, it probably shouldn't wiggle, unless it's the receptacle wiggling in the housing. The plug shouldn't wiggle in the receptacle.

Remove the extension cable and take a pic of the actual receptacle, the black part, not the box. It might say what brand of receptacle it is on the black part.

If it's loose, it'll heat up when drawing a load. Do you have a thermo reader?
The line is not connected yet. I am waiting for the electrician to install the 50 amp breaker. I am going to show him to see what he says. Just not sure if the wiggle is normal to a certain extent. It doesn’t move if I don’t force it.

Attachments

• 36130BB9-B60A-41BB-9B33-E1BD28BE8A12.jpeg
    36130BB9-B60A-41BB-9B33-E1BD28BE8A12.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
It could be your extension cord plugs too. Maybe they are just tiny bit smaller than normal. Do you have any other 14/50 plugs you could try on your outlet? You could just buy one to test and return it.
I just realized I have the 14/50 adapter I bought for this car. I tried it and it’s the same. Doesn’t move unless I move it side to side. I’m starting to think this is normal, again, if I don’t move it it’s fine.

I just realized I have the 14/50 adapter I bought for this car. I tried it and it’s the same. Doesn’t move unless I move it side to side. I’m starting to think this is normal, again, if I don’t move it it’s fine.
It's your outlet then. I just went out to my garage and tried to wiggle my 2 NEMA 14-50 adapters plugged in to the outlets (side to side, up and down). They did not move at all. I have not unplug them from the outlets for years, but they were pretty tight when I plugged them in.