Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm super disappointed with range. reading reviews i was expecting a 20% drop off my car is operating at 65 % efficiency.
i have the 75d with 22 inch wheels. i have attached tesalfi results.

Attachments

• drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 142
Based on these two data points (posts #1 and 2), it appears the 22s are a significant hit to your efficiency. Are you also driving in cold temps? I just drove 2100 miles from Seattle to Iowa with a P85 I purchased. To gain efficiency, I swapped 19s for the OEM 21s (and put them in the back hatch for summertime fun). So even with 19s, my RANGE turned out to be about 130 miles (vs 251 miles at 100% charge of this 2012 battery that's lost the normal 1% per year off the original 265 rated miles). So that amounts to only getting 52% of rated range under "normal" conditions. The cold temps along I90 were mostly to blame, as we hit a high of 31F and a low of 5F over our 2-day journey. We also drove the speed limit, which ranged from 65-80mph. But we did have to use electric seats in lieu of cabin heat (turned low/off) just to get "half" our range and make it to each of our 20 Superchargers along the route. Point of the story...look closely at cold weather that's likely zapping a good chunk of your expected efficiency.

I'm super disappointed with range. reading reviews i was expecting a 20% drop off my car is operating at 65 % efficiency.

Your location shows NNY, is that being Northern New York? If so, your efficiency numbers are about right and I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a little bit more as it gets colder in the winter.

Without specifics, I'm in your generale climate zone. On 20's I get on average 350-375wh/mi. On 22's I get on average 400-425wh/mi. I get the low range in warm weather and the high range in cold weather. When it starts dropping into single digits, it's not uncommon for me to see 425-450wh/mi on 20's and 450-500wh/mi on 22's.

The term “efficiency” is misleading as it’s not reasonable to expect to get the EPA rated range when you’re driving at 43 degrees avg. temp with 22 inch wheels, and who knows how much you were using the heater and how fast you were going. Elon may try to defy the SEC but even he can’t defy the laws of physics and chemistry.

My suggestion is to turn off Tesla Fi and just enjoy your car.

My suggestion is to turn off Tesla Fi and just enjoy your car.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We've come to terms with our 75D with 22" wheels and living in the Midwest. You just have to plan your route better and relax on the drive as you are going to be on superchargers a lot if you do long drives. But then again, we all use our cars differently. We use ours city driving most of the time(sometimes, car only comes out on weekends) because we are in Chicago, and we can walk anywhere mostly, but if you use your car on long periods of time, I think you need to replace them with 20" wheels if the range anxiety bothers you that much.

all these data points look normal. Also, EPA range is never meant to be real world, the test was conducted assuming 55 mph driving speed, this is true to electric car as well as gasoline car. That's also why you would never achieve the MPG in gasoline car or MPGe in electric car.

My consumption
417 Wh/Mi, 22"
357 Wh/Mi, 20"

I expect this is a dumb question, but I assume there is a way to inform the car you have switched to 22 inch wheels? I also assume the 22 inch wheels have a larger circumference? If so, the car needs to know the new circumference to know the actual miles driven. If it doesn't it will be off by 10% on the mileage driven.

This is pretty obvious, I've just not seen anything in the control panel about it.

You are averaging only 7 miles per trip according to that data, so that will make your range look very poor too.

I can easily average close to 500 Wh/mile on short fast winter trips, even with the OEM 20" wheels/tyres. But it improves a lot on longer steady trips and in summer, when I can sometimes average 320 Wh/mile. Basically the real world range for a MX 75D on 20" wheels is 130-200 miles, depending on ambient conditions and type of journey. With OEM 22" wheels/tyres range is reduced by a further 10-15%.

If range is critical for you then you should consider swapping to the 20" wheels.

Tesla used to advertise 15-20% range reduction on the online configurator when selecting 22 inch wheels, but they took that off.
Please do not spread misinformation. Tesla's own website advertised a 10% range reduction, not 15-20%.
I have 22" wheels, and average about 350–400 wh/mi if I drive like a sane person (without range mode, and using normal heat/AC). If you step on it at every green light, you will of course consume more, even between 450–500 wh/mi. On the other hand, I've had loaners with 20" wheels that average 375-425 wh/mi as well. What matters a lot more is how you drive, not necessarily your wheels. Maybe that's why Tesla stopped advertising the range loss — because it's not as bad as everyone thinks.

Please do not spread misinformation. Tesla's own website advertised a 10% range reduction, not 15-20%.
I have 22" wheels, and average about 350–400 wh/mi if I drive like a sane person (without range mode, and using normal heat/AC). If you step on it at every green light, you will of course consume more, even between 450–500 wh/mi. On the other hand, I've had loaners with 20" wheels that average 375-425 wh/mi as well. What matters a lot more is how you drive, not necessarily your wheels. Maybe that's why Tesla stopped advertising the range loss — because it's not as bad as everyone thinks.

I agree that your driving style is more important, but presuming you are not going to change the way you drive, then the efficiency loss with larger wheels is still for real. This was an interesting study (see below) and FWIW suggests that Tesla used to state a general 10-15% loss in range, which seems reasonable to me. One thing the EPA results show is that the 22" OEM wheels on the X are very much the worst case scenario for wheel/tyre efficiency.

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency

It's fair to say that it's almost impossible to nail down an exact range loss for the 22" wheels, but I'd fully expect to be losing 10%+ range if I fitted them to my X given the various sources of data and owner reports.

Reactions: xyeahtony
Tesla-Model-X-22-in-wheels-range.jpg

you love disagreeing with all my posts. Its no secret 22inch wheels reduce range. i've never seen anyone get more defensive about their 22 inch wheels than you. Im not speaking negatively about 22 inch wheels, i'm stating cold hard facts. In any vehicle, the thinner your wheel well and larger your wheels, the more you feel the road. Smaller wheels, you feel less of the road.

My bad, it wasn't 15-20%, it was 10-15%. are you really going to get so defensive and butt-hurt about a 5% mistake?

Remember the EPA figures are based on driving slowly. Highway numbers are for 60 mph.

Before I bought my Tesla I used to drive 60. I had a pickup and I liked to stretch the mileage as much as reasonable. With the stick I could drift up to stops rather than power to the moment I hit the brakes like most do. I could get 20 mpg too. Ed Begley Jr. would be proud. Now I drive 5 to 9 over the speed limit mostly.

are you really going to get so defensive and butt-hurt about a 5% mistake?

I'm having a sane, professional discussion about this and stating my experience and you're making it personal, which is against the rules of this forum. Just wanted to make sure the Moderators are aware of your conduct, since this is not the first time you've made personal accusations against people/me. Therefore, I am choosing to disengage from this and let the moderators do their job. @Doug_G

If you preheat the vehicle, which will preheat the battery, you'll see tremendously better range per watt hour in the winter. But it can easily take a half an hour, sometimes even an hour, to get the battery all the way warm. Of course you need to do this while plugged in, otherwise you're just using up battery charge uselessly.