Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is this normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have had my model 3 for the last two months, and noticed when I charge I dont get as much charged. for example when I charge to 90 percent I get only 209 mi, I believe b4 I used to get 216. I have the standard range plus . What should I do? is there a way to reset the calibration, should I take it into tesla.

Thanks

Hi I have had my model 3 for the last two months, and noticed when I charge I dont get as much charged. for example when I charge to 90 percent I get only 209 mi, I believe b4 I used to get 216. I have the standard range plus . What should I do? is there a way to reset the calibration, should I take it into tesla.

Thanks

Don't worry. It's completely normal variation. The way to rebalance the battery is to charge it up to 100% and then run it down to 10% or so. But with a new car you won't need to rebalance for a long time.

Don't worry. It's completely normal variation. The way to rebalance the battery is to charge it up to 100% and then run it down to 10% or so. But with a new car you won't need to rebalance for a long time.
That will recalibrate the SOC meter, but it is not required for the pack to balance. Tesla's BMS has voltage sense on each group of cells and can adjust their charge as needed.

Simpler BMS systems rely on limiting the maximum group voltage and require a low current max voltage charge taper to balance the pack.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller

I don't think you need to go to 100% any more. Mine rebalanced/recalibrated/whatever you want to call it without ever charging to 100%. My typical max is 90%. A couple times I go to 93%-ish right before driving.

Getting down to 20% or lower and then eventually making your way back up to 90% seems to have let the BMS figure things out a bit more for me. I'm back to 90% = original 90% from day 1 after having "dropped" ~9km for a while at 90%.

I didn't do this stretching "on purpose" to recalibrate ... it just happened through normal course use.

OP, don't worry about it. If it really REALLY bugs you, go lower than you usually go for a few times before going back up to 90%. After a month see if anything changes. Mine just fixed itself.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
No, I pretty much stay at 215 - 216... could be the nice weather we get here, and with everything off i dont have a battery drain issue.

100% will net me 239 - 240

Fred

What’s your normal use pattern, 90% down to what before charging back? For a while I was doing 90-70-90, sometimes 90-80-90-80 charging twice a day. I think that pattern can result in BMS calibration drifting.

This is normal. It’s also why service is so backed up, because new owners don’t understand that it’s normal for displayed range to vary (it’s just an estimate that may be more or less accurate at times) and also for batteries to lose capacity early on, then the loss levels off.