Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2015 P90DL is only going about 90 or 100 miles on a 90% charge. 90% for me equates to a shown 220 mile range but I'm not getting anywhere near that. It's been on the cool side in Colorado and I park outside currently. About 35 at night and 50-60 during the day. I'm driving like an old lady as I'm watching this. Had a 16 90D and I didn't notice this before. Thoughts? I'm going in for service on unrelated items tomorrow but I'm sure they will blow this off unless I really press but wanted to check with the braintrust first. TIA!

Some pictures of the battery and trip odometers for your trips, maybe?

What is the car showing for consumption?

Cold weather eats a lot of power, especially on short trips heating the cabin and pack, but your description still seems well outside of expectations.

You will probably be seeing about 30% decrease in range in those temperatures.

But you need to be a little more detailed about what you are seeing. I can also get 100 miles on a 90% range if I decide I'm empty at 50%.
Driving like an old lady isn't a great description. What's the amount of driving and what is your top speed?
And where in Colorado are you? How much mountain driving is there?

Your current usage will be very high for the first few miles as the car warms the battery pack. This is even if you don’t use cabin heat. I’ve seen usage above 700 even driving gently, not using the cabin heat at all.

That's crazy, I'm in a 60 and I can get more than 100 during the winter, it's usually about 130-140. A tip is to schedule charging about one to two hours before your normal departure so the battery has some warmth. I use seat heat at first then switch to cabin heat after the drivetrain has warmed up for about ten minutes of highway driving. Works for me.

I’d like to know which version 90 pack you have. I have a P90D with the V2 pack and right now my 90% charge is 223 and I can get almost all of it highway / interstate driving. Conversely driving around town red light to red light I get right at 70% of my rated miles which is still 156 so 100 is pretty bad.

I do live in a warm climate, today it was 70. Most days it’s hot as hell.

Have you considered using range mode? It lessens acceleration some but would likely help save some battery.

Something doesn’t seem right. When it is cold like -15C cold, I loose about 30% range. The first 10km or so is especially bad as the battery and cabin warms up, where my consumption may be 2x.

What does your car reports wh/km to be?
When you are out, what % are you at and what charge level do you start at?

I would say 30% less range is expected, 50% less maybe if you do short trips exclusively. 90-10% range.

Started today with 197 range miles. Drove 54 miles and used 60 range miles.
42C3C5B7-0C0E-4075-B5D0-4FDB1277F8A5.jpeg

That seems normal. You should have close to 90% rated range at that consumption, which is good for cold weather.

Lol 72F isnt cold weather... It was 32 here this morning.

For the op, I have an 90D and easily managed 100 miles today. Still had 40% left and did highway driving at around 77-80 miles per hour with a lot of wind.

I understand a 90D is not the same as a P90D but there shouldnt be a big difference