Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2015 P90DL is only going about 90 or 100 miles on a 90% charge. 90% for me equates to a shown 220 mile range but I'm not getting anywhere near that. It's been on the cool side in Colorado and I park outside currently. About 35 at night and 50-60 during the day. I'm driving like an old lady as I'm watching this. Had a 16 90D and I didn't notice this before. Thoughts? I'm going in for service on unrelated items tomorrow but I'm sure they will blow this off unless I really press but wanted to check with the braintrust first. TIA!

There are so many variables at play here....temperature, elevation changes, sitting unplugged, heater/defrost use, etc etc....

Fill in the blanks for us and we can try and diagnose/surmise what's going on but in all honesty since your only getting that little range I would visit your SC.

I leave it unplugged at night. Usually drive with heat set at 68 or 70 in morning. Live about 1 mile up canyon so uphill in one direction but nothing crazy. Latest example, charged this last monday to 90%. Drove home from Supercharger (about 4 miles). Next morning was around 200 miles of range. Drove to kid's school (5 miles) and to office. About 8 miles total. Car read about 170 miles left. Parked at office. Drove on highway to another kid's hockey practice (20 miles round trip. Picked her up (another 20 miles). Dropped kid at school again and went to office. Drove home (1 miles from office). This morning, I'm at about 100 miles. Drove to gym and kids school (all less than 10 miles total. Currently, it's at 83 miles left. I reset odometer, and it says I've driven 70 miles since monday.

EPA rated range is 55 miles per hour, no AC or heat, range mode on... basically best possible outcome. Real world you will probably drive faster and be more comfortable, which uses more energy.

1 mile per % seems incredibly low though - what is your averaged watt hours per mile? You mention parking outside - are you unplugged? Parasitic losses use up energy but don't show as miles, you could be losing a lot that way. I think Tesla recently increased parasitic losses, they seem higher than they were a year ago but I haven't measured full nights in the cold.

I leave it unplugged at night. Usually drive with heat set at 68 or 70 in morning. Live about 1 mile up canyon so uphill in one direction but nothing crazy. Latest example, charged this last monday to 90%. Drove home from Supercharger (about 4 miles). Next morning was around 200 miles of range. Drove to kid's school (5 miles) and to office. About 8 miles total. Car read about 170 miles left. Parked at office. Drove on highway to another kid's hockey practice (20 miles round trip. Picked her up (another 20 miles). Dropped kid at school again and went to office. Drove home (1 miles from office). This morning, I'm at about 100 miles. Drove to gym and kids school (all less than 10 miles total. Currently, it's at 83 miles left. I reset odometer, and it says I've driven 70 miles since monday.
When you do "short" trips, the car is designed to heat the battery to maintain it's health (as well as to allow regen).

A cold soaked battery (left unplugged, below 50F) will use a LOT of kWh to heat, and will do this EVERY TIME you drive. You can turn on Range Mode, which limits this battery heating but also reduces cabin heating efficiency.

Based on my experience (about 75k miles with our S in WI, but I also park in an attached garage at night) you will not have this type of range loss on longer drives. I average around 20-30% loss in the worst of winter overall, including short drives.

It would be interesting to see the amount of vampire drain from the time you park it at night till the next morning. Get in the habit of recording that information and you might see that vampire drain is consuming a considerable amount of your rated miles loss.

Try keeping an eye on your Wh/mile. As stated in a post above, that is the best indicator of how much energy the car is using as you drive. Trying to relate miles driven to "miles" of range is a losing proposition -- better to think in terms of Wh/mile. The car tracks it for you, and you can chose to display the average over 5 miles, 15 miles, or 30 miles. You can also reset one of your trip gauges (B, probably) to track your energy use over a longer period, such as the winter season, and compare it to your lifetime average or to any records you have of other periods of time. I always have the energy app displayed in the right-hand third of the instrument cluster, and the average Wh/mi is displayed below the graph.
And by the way, some other EVs track their energy consumption as the miles/kWh, which makes sense. It might be easier to think in terms of miles/kWh as analogous to miles/gallon. As an example -- If you use 333 Wh/mile, then that is exactly 3 miles per kWh.A Model S should get at lest 3 on a nice day at reasonable speeds in mild weather. On a cold day, running short trips, your average energy consumption might be 400 Wh/mi, or even more. So that is only 2.5 miles per kWh. You know how big your battery is, and how much it is charged, so that can be used to give you an idea of range under various conditions. But first you need the data. (I keep a paper log, but there are also third party logging tools that run on a phone or a PC and collect data directly from your car.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Mannity