Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me and the mrs went to test drive the Model Y and we both instantly noticed that the go pedal felt a bit stiff and the acceleration felt quite restricted, almost as if there was a bit of a delay between putting your foot down and the car doing something.

Is that normal and it feels weird to us because we’re used to driving the M3P or did the car we were trying out have an issue?

Mrs drives the M3P in chill mode and the MYLR was in normal, which I thought would put the two at a level par.

If it is normal I’m guessing the acceleration boost will sort everything out?

Mrs drives the M3P in chill mode and the MYLR was in normal, which I thought would put the two at a level par.

I would expect the normal setting of a YLR to be much more responsive than chill mode on the M3P. ("chill mode" is supposedly a level of performance that is consistent between all models i.e. chill on a P should be the same as chill on a LR ... so not a percentage reduction that would put chill on a Performance at a similar level to normal on the LR)

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
Valet mode? It restricts acceleration and top speed. The only visible clue is the profile name shows as Valet.

If navigation, glovebox or voice commands were working, then it wasn't Valet mode.

It was definitely in normal mode. The only restriction was the 87mph limit.

Sounds like there was something wrong with the car we tested so hopefully ours will behave normally once it arrives.

I had a look in my manual for speed limit mode (Model 3). It does say that when a speed limit is set the acceleration is restricted and the car is also automatically put into chill mode ... seems odd if you saw it saying it was in "normal" ... anyway here's the quote:

<quote>
Speed Limit Mode: Speed Limit Mode allows you to limit acceleration and limit the maximum driving speed to a chosen value between 50 and 90 mph (80 and 145 km/h). The first time you use this feature, you must create a 4-digit PIN that you must use to enable and disable Speed Limit Mode. When enabled and the driving speed approaches within approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) of the maximum speed, a chime sounds, the instrument panel displays a message, and Model 3 sends a notification to the mobile app. To enable Speed Limit Mode:

1. Ensure Model 3 is in Park.

2. Touch Controls > Safety > Speed Limit Mode on the touchscreen, or touch Controls in your mobile app.

3. Select the maximum driving speed.

4. Drag the slider to the On position.

5. Enter the 4-digit PIN that you want to use to enable and disable Speed Limit Mode.

NOTE: If you forget the PIN, you can disable Speed Limit Mode by entering login credentials for your Tesla account.

NOTE: While Speed Limit Mode is enabled, the acceleration setting (Controls > Pedals & Steering > Acceleration) automatically sets to Chill.
</quote>

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
Interesting… it was definitely on normal on the pedals and steering screen, with a bit of text below it saying the speed was limited
The chill word is so small sometime people miss that one. If speed is restricted then it is in chill mode as the manual suggests. I am pretty familiar with this as my car is in chill mode - restricted the speed as my other half drives like she is in a F1 race.

We have test driven the M3P, M3LR and MYLR. The P was obviously faster but both the LR were no slouches. The MYLR accelerator didn’t feel heavy and the car definitely had enough punch off the line. Sounds like the one you test drove was doing something different as certainly not the experience we had (have MYLR on order).