Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this plug safe? [Adapter replaced by vendor]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered this plug (NEMA 15-30) from EVSEadapters.com

Thought plugs had to be plastic or rubberized… what do you all think?

7D69F2FF-5B3D-4F94-8A5D-F232B48DB267.jpeg

Definitely does not look like the (currently out-of-stock) 15-30 adapter that is listed at EVSEadapters.com. That one is a right-angle like the Tesla OEM ones.

I would hesitate to use it since there appears to be a crack in the plastic / phenolic plug. If it is indeed cracked, I would recommend contacting EVSEadapters and see if you can get a credit / exchange.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Literally came in the mail today..
OK, sorry. I guess that was a little rude. I've bought several pieces from EVSEAdapters, and they have all worked and looked perfect. I have never seen a plug from anywhere before that had giant chunks broken out at the base of the pins like that, so it seems really shocking (Ha! Unintentional) that EVSEAdapters would sell something so busted up like that.

OK, sorry. I guess that was a little rude. I've bought several pieces from EVSEAdapters, and they have all worked and looked perfect. I have never seen a plug from anywhere before that had giant chunks broken out at the base of the pins like that, so it seems really shocking (Ha! Unintentional) that EVSEAdapters would sell something so busted up like that.
Def could have been packaged better, I believe it may have been damaged in transit.

Looks like he made the adapter, I’ll snap more pics of it when I get home.

I was more concerned with the plug being metal and not rubberized or plastic. I called and they said the plug is grounded, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it does not look to me like "giant chunks broken out of the base of the pins ". They appear symmetrical. I assume they're molded into the...phenolic? bakelite?

John here with EVSE Adapters. We did sell this adapter to Steve. The NEMA 15-30 is a fairly uncommon connection and this type of plug is sometimes hard to source. The majority of our adapters are fully molded and look much nicer. Unfortunately, the plugs we usually use for this adapter were unavailable last month when this one was made. Sometimes plug availability is a real issue with this adapter, which is why we mention that appearance may vary. The enclosure is indeed bonded to ground. Although it may not look as nice as our other adapters, I was going for function over form.

Considering the feedback here though, I think we won't be using those plugs again. While they were made to meet applicable safety standards, they don't meet the design aesthetic of our brand and I think the right-angle plug is preferable anyway.

Now based on that last photo, it does also appear that a small crack developed during shipment. We do have a couple of the NEMA 15-30 adapters in stock now with the nicer plugs (like in the attached picture). @Steve2121 If you accept, I'd like to go ahead and send you one of them as a replacement and will include a prepaid return label for you to send back the damaged one.

Attachments

• nema15-30gen2-1024x1024.jpg
    nema15-30gen2-1024x1024.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 46
Okay. Just checked EVSEadapters.com and saw this on the 15-30 adapter page:

"Our new NEMA 15-30 Gen 2 adapter lets you charge your Tesla Model 3, Model S, Model Y or Model X (with Gen 2 UMC) at NEMA 15-30 three-phase industrial outlets. These outlets may be found at some airport hangers and other industrial sites. Note: Appearance of product may differ depending on current parts availability."

edit: I see EVSEadapters replied before I posted this.

John here with EVSE Adapters. We did sell this adapter to Steve. The NEMA 15-30 is a fairly uncommon connection and this type of plug is sometimes hard to source. The majority of our adapters are fully molded and look much nicer. Unfortunately, the plugs we usually use for this adapter were unavailable last month when this one was made. Sometimes plug availability is a real issue with this adapter, which is why we mention that appearance may vary. The enclosure is indeed bonded to ground. Although it may not look as nice as our other adapters, I was going for function over form.

Considering the feedback here though, I think we won't be using those plugs again. While they were made to meet applicable safety standards, they don't meet the design aesthetic of our brand and I think the right-angle plug is preferable anyway.

Now based on that last photo, it does also appear that a small crack developed during shipment. We do have a couple of the NEMA 15-30 adapters in stock now with the nicer plugs (like in the attached picture). @Steve2121 If you accept, I'd like to go ahead and send you one of them as a replacement and will include a prepaid return label for you to send back the damaged one.
Sounds good John, much appreciated.

John;

Good customer service with this. But you have to admit the adapter you show in your image looks a lot better than what Steve received.
I think I would have waited till I had the nice adapters in stock to ship, rather than shipping the piece Steve received.
Most of the Tesla people are willing to wait and pay for quality products.

John;

Good customer service with this. But you have to admit the adapter you show in your image looks a lot better than what Steve received.
I think I would have waited till I had the nice adapters in stock to ship, rather than shipping the piece Steve received.
Most of the Tesla people are willing to wait and pay for quality products.
Point well taken. Will definitely keep this in mind going forward.