Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this preowned a good deal or should I hold out for a P100D with APHW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put down a refundable deposit to hold this Model X P90D. It is a 2016 with Autopilot HW 1.

Mileage 11,665
seven seat interior
premium options package
premium sound
white leather
autopilot hw1

2016 Tesla MODEL X P90D (5YJXCAE47GF007160)

Also is it a good idea to buy this or hold out a few months for a used one with autopilot 2.0? My impression is that it may be a while till a P100D with Autopilot 2.0 reaches this price level. Thoughts?

Ok. So nothing that caught my eye. Looks good but you should have it inspected before purchase. It was sold at an auction in Texas then Pensylvania 2 months later. Kind of scetchy. Have tesla do an inspection
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.32.39 PM.png

I own a June 2016 build (vin 64xx), so just slightly older - almost identical, except I didn't get the high fidelity sound, and I got carbon fiber. And no P. Ok, so not quite as nice, definitely not as fast!

Just a note, the white seats are NOT leather. But I've done over 25000 miles, and they look as good as new. My 100% range started at 257' I'm at 249 now, and am due for new tires....I would expect the P to eat tires faster. It's a HEAVY vehicle with a LOT of torque.

For that price I'd almost look at a new 100D, with the 7500 tax credit, plus any state incentives it'd be close. Unless you really want the P. And a new car won't have the ventilated seats, and I really like them on hot days to stay cool.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: P100DHG.
Personally I don't think it is a good deal. With the fire sale on inventory P90s and the tax credit, why mess with a used car? Plus Tesla says they don't honor the warranty if you buy from a car dealer, so any remaining warranty would be gone. (They will warranty a private purchase). I'd go for an inventory car or a CPO.

Last edited:
Reactions: b team
Personally I don't think it is a good deal. With the fire sale on inventory P90s and the tax credit, why mess with a used car? Plus Tesla says they don't honor the warranty if you buy from a car dealer, so any remaining warranty would be gone. (They will warranty a private purchase). I'd go for an inventory car or a CPO.

I get there is a warranty advantage to the CPO, but they are also more expensive. It seems to me the car I am looking it is a good deal at a certain price, the question is what price. If 95k is too much with only a 3 year warranty left, then what about $90k? The closest CPO I see has 14k miles, and a 102k asking price, vs 11k and 95k. Also the car I am considering has 7 seats vs. 6. I prefer a bench seat in second row, since I plan to keep 3rd row seats folded.

Where does it say they won't honor the warranty? That sounds very illegal to me. I've never heard of a car manufacturer invalidating a factory warranty prior to the expiration date of that warranty except for making modifications to the vehicle.

I did look at CPOs but at $102k I would rather buy a new 100D which would be $8k more. Performance diff between 100D and P90D without ludicrous mode is not big 3.8s 0-60 vs 4.2s

Last edited:
Reactions: P100DHG.
I don't think it's illegal. Tesla can word their warranty however they want. They can limit a warranty to original purchasers, or to private party sales. They tightly control the resale market of their cars. See how many there are for sale at Carfax nationwide. Last time I checked there were zero.

And here is the language from the FAQ about the warranty transfer restrictions:

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

It is unlikely the dealer got ownership transferred through Tesla. I guess it's possible but my understanding is dealers don't work this way.

I researched the warranty further and it seems the factory warranty does transfer to whoever the owner is. You just need to go to a Tesla Service Center and show the title and registration to prove you are the owner.

The Extended Service Agreement if one was purchased does not transfer over.

But you do seem to be correct in that Tesla is disadvantaging independent dealers. This obviously has the consequence of accelerated depreciation of new Teslas because from what I understand, Tesla is not very generous in their trade-in valuations.

• Helpful
Reactions: BLKMDL3
I'm also concerned about the Tesla CPO program warranty. Tesla basically says if you buy a used Tesla from Tesla, the new vehicle warranty is voided and replaced by a Tesla Pre-Owned limited warranty. The question is does the CPO warranty cover the same as the new vehicle warranty?

e.g. if I take a BMW under a new vehicle warranty in for a rattle. They have to fix it. Rattles are covered. If I take a 5 year old BMW in for same issue under CPO warranty (which takes effect when new vehicle warranty expires) then they won't cover the rattle. So with most other car brands the CPO warranty is an extension, but doesn't replace the new vehicle warranty, and it covers less than the new vehicle warranty.

If this is the case, then buying a CPO tesla would mean you have less coverage (near term) than buying a new one, or buying a used one from a private party and transferring their new warranty. Is this correct?

I get there is a warranty advantage to the CPO, but they are also more expensive. It seems to me the car I am looking it is a good deal at a certain price, the question is what price. If 95k is too much with only a 3 year warranty left, then what about $90k? The closest CPO I see has 14k miles, and a 102k asking price, vs 11k and 95k. Also the car I am considering has 7 seats vs. 6. I prefer a bench seat in second row, since I plan to keep 3rd row seats folded.

Where does it say they won't honor the warranty? That sounds very illegal to me. I've never heard of a car manufacturer invalidating a factory warranty prior to the expiration date of that warranty except for making modifications to the vehicle.

I did look at CPOs but at $102k I would rather buy a new 100D which would be $8k more. Performance diff between 100D and P90D without ludicrous mode is not big 3.8s 0-60 vs 4.2s

I might be wrong on this, but I think the 2nd row bench was just recently added to the 7-seat configuration and did not exist on Xs built before June, certainly not in a X P90D. So any 7 seater before June 2017 would be the 3 individual seats in the 2nd row which do not fold flat.