TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is this real or some crazy dream? NEW OWNER!

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DiamondDave, May 6, 2016.

1. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

I picked up my CPO P85+ Wednesday (one of the last after the Great Purge) at long long last. What an awesome car! It's been raining for most of a week here but it feels sunny to me!

The front of the car was already wrapped by previous owner. Car looks immaculate. Better condition than if it had been mine for the last year and half.

I can't put in words how enjoyable it is to drive. I like the energy gauge on the IC. I did not realize how that worked when I test drove a new Model S. I'm still learning how to drive with regen, I keep taking my foot entirely off the accelerator and slowing too quickly.

I made my 9- and 13-year-old daughters scream twice with acceleration blasts.

:D

• Like x 6
  2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gratz! Enjoy every minute it of it, and share the joy with your daughters.

One quick note: Please be careful with the rain. It's a little less so with the +, but with the P85 (non-D) it's very easy to get the rear end to break loose if you're having fun. Even with my young tires (> 500, < 2000) miles, I can get my P85 to break loose even in the dry at times -- including yesterday when it was unusually dry here.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Congratulations! Welcome to a life-changing club. I never realized when I got a Model S how quickly and thoroughly it would turn me against ICE vehicles.

4. Alex D

Alex D Member

Congratulations!!! I'm still waiting on my MS 70D. It is k-i-l-l-i-n-g me lol

• Like x 1
  5. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Any pics you can share?

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

Thanks for posting this. The rear end has broken loose a couple of times, even on what seemed to be pretty dry pavement. I even checked my settings to make sure I had not deactivated traction control. I was going to call the service center about it.

7. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Congratulations and enjoy!

Bruce.

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

Almost forgot the pics!

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  9. wildtigg3r

wildtigg3r Member

Congrats!

Let me know what your range is when you charge your battery to 90% and 100% (if you ever charge to 100%). I just put down a deposit for a P85+ also. Looking forward to getting mine as well.

10. Boourns

Boourns Member

Green is my favorite Model S color. Great looking car. Congrats!

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Love me some green too. Hope they can bring it back at some point. Congrats and enjoy the car!

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Since you've experienced it, a followup question... :)
    What was your initial reaction as a driver to the situation and what are you impressions/evaluation of how the car reacted? Was it "uncomfortable" or just "whoops", and the car recovered quickly and smoothly? Or was it scary and the car's recovery even more uncomfortable?

Thanks.

13. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Nah, breaking the rear out on a P85 or P85+ is normal under hard acceleration. You learn to modulate it and it is well behaved. I went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's when it came time to replace my OEM Michelin MXM4's to gain some more traction in both dry and wet.

14. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

The car just stuttered a little bit. It didn't feel out of control at all and it regained traction quickly. My old Formula Firebird was very skittish in wet conditions (let alone snow) so it was not an unfamiliar feeling.

15. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

Congrats Tigger!! When I picked it up it was fully charged with a rated range of 250-something. It's a 2014 w/ 19k, s/n P51xxx.

16. daxz

daxz Member

Congrats on the new car !!

Reminds me to watch this video again:

17. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

You'll get used to the regen. The hardest part for me to recognize is that you sometimes need to "feed gas" when approaching a red light which is counter-intuitive but if you look at the gauge, you'll see that you're still regenerating, just not as much.

Only let-off completely when you need to slow down fast. Otherwise, just feather it.

18. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. I'm sure I'll get the hang of "feathering" soon enough.

19. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Even with traction control, it is not abnormal for the back end to break loose a little. You shouldn't be able to do a massive peel out, but some tire chirping is entirely normal. I've had other high power cars with traction control before, and they did the same thing. It makes sense really -- the tires have to break loose before there is any traction needing control.

Congrats. I just got a CPO P85 not too long ago and I am really loving it. Only concern is how quickly I'm adding miles to the car and subtracting them from my warranty.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for sharing and great to hear. For those of us that have had Model S for a while, it's interesting to hear to reactions and thoughts of new customers.