TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this really going to happen? Adding artificial noise. It’s a shame if so.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by quickstrike12, Jan 12, 2019 at 5:21 AM.

1. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  2. Kbra

Kbra Member

Yup its becoming law. It's intended to be a low speeds only for situations like parking lots and crosswalks. Numerous other EV manufactures are preparing for this too.

3. rooter

rooter Member

Pull a wire...

• Like x 2
  4. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

Tesla could leverage Emissions mode by lowering the windows and playing fart sounds.

• Funny x 1
  5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

I am sure that is a part that would mysterious stop working in many car... and the owners would be just OK with that.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Elon has commented that their solution is a sensor to locate any pedestrians in the direction of travel, and to project a focus sound that only they will be able to hear to alert them of a Tesla moving in their direction. No need to have a constant annoying sound that will serve no purpose.

If he can pull that off it is another example of the genius of Tesla.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  7. CapnLoki

CapnLoki Member

I believe it would become part of the state vehicle inspection - that's the way the commercial regs work -
    "If the State requires all vehicles registered in the State to be inspected through its mandatory program, then the motor carrier must use the State program to satisfy the Federal requirements."

Regulations Section

8. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

As long as it only works below say 20mph I'm not sure I care if it is introduced.

• Like x 1
  9. Kbra

Kbra Member

Tesla can easily make the car throw an error of that happens. Plus imagine getting into a minor accident or hitting a pedestrian in a parking lot and they find out you disabled the safety feature. Won't play out well for you.

Personally I can care less if it's minor and I don't hear it in the car.

10. Robert2on

Robert2on Member

It's not really that bad. The hybrid Lexus my Model 3 replaced had a noise at low speed when it would drop into electric mode. The only time I even noticed it was pulling into my garage with the windows down and it was sort of a futuristic spaceship movie sound. Not unpleasant at all and we never noticed it driving from inside the cabin when driving. I wouldn't worry about it from my experience anyhow :).

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. Naekuh

Naekuh Member

I thought the UHFS system we have blasting out the windows is considered the "pedestrian noise". :D
    (sarcasm)

But there has been times when i ended up following behind some guy walking in the middle of the street and they didnt notice until i did a "Excuse me beep".

• Funny x 1
  12. UnderCharged

UnderCharged Member

Stop and go will get annoying real quick, imagine you car chirping in rush hour.

13. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

14. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Most of the other EVs already have a sound generator. You don't hear it from inside, and barely noticeable from outside. It's pretty close to a motor whine.
    On the Leaf, they actually have to tell you that it is there.

15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I hate this as well, but I think the reality is going to be far better than we fear.

It's also probably going to be funnier especially if we can have costume sounds.

If a Ford Mustang can have a tuned exhaust then why can't I have a tuned noise maker?

If I do get one that has it I'd probably just snip the wires or I'd set it so I can turn it on/off at will. That way it was there when I needed it (for parking lots), and wasn't there for when it wasn't desired.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Someone posted a YouTube video showing the speaker grill location on newer Model 3 cars. When he removed the lower facia, there was no speaker, but 3 mounting studs where one would go. It's coming...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

It is not about you - it is about pedestrians. The only thing that I think they could tweak is the activation speed - I think it should make sound up to about 15mph. After that speed tires make enough noise.

18. nomis_nehc

nomis_nehc Member

I heard a Prius beeping loudly backing up the other day. I was horrified.

• Like x 1
  19. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Definitely needs an on off switch.

20. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Simple: Just make sure you go faster than 20 mph whenever you’re in a parking lot. :p

• Funny x 2