Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this really going to happen? Adding artificial noise. It’s a shame if so.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has commented that their solution is a sensor to locate any pedestrians in the direction of travel, and to project a focus sound that only they will be able to hear to alert them of a Tesla moving in their direction. No need to have a constant annoying sound that will serve no purpose.

If he can pull that off it is another example of the genius of Tesla.

It's not really that bad. The hybrid Lexus my Model 3 replaced had a noise at low speed when it would drop into electric mode. The only time I even noticed it was pulling into my garage with the windows down and it was sort of a futuristic spaceship movie sound. Not unpleasant at all and we never noticed it driving from inside the cabin when driving. I wouldn't worry about it from my experience anyhow :).

I thought the UHFS system we have blasting out the windows is considered the "pedestrian noise". :D
(sarcasm)

But there has been times when i ended up following behind some guy walking in the middle of the street and they didnt notice until i did a "Excuse me beep".

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I hate this as well, but I think the reality is going to be far better than we fear.

It's also probably going to be funnier especially if we can have costume sounds.

If a Ford Mustang can have a tuned exhaust then why can't I have a tuned noise maker?

If I do get one that has it I'd probably just snip the wires or I'd set it so I can turn it on/off at will. That way it was there when I needed it (for parking lots), and wasn't there for when it wasn't desired.

It is not about you - it is about pedestrians. The only thing that I think they could tweak is the activation speed - I think it should make sound up to about 15mph. After that speed tires make enough noise.