Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this right? Tesla staff asking for RN numbers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After recently test driving a model y, we left the dealership to mull it over. The following day we decided to place the order. Tesla advisors afterwards contacted us to ask if they could be any more help. On learning that we had ordered, we have since had a couple of requests for our RN number 'to link to the account'.... Given that the RN number is generated during the ordering process, it is surely already linked to the account!? Why are they requesting this?

In that case I agree that it is odd that Sales are asking for your RN number. I suggest asking why they want that - might be a legit reason, but in the past there have been some non-legit ones - such as Sales using the RN to apply a "mate's" referral code.
However there are no referral codes anymore so irrelevant.

I wouldn't be suspicious, it's better to have a specific sales office assigned to your order.

Reactions: Chemist
Tesla have always claimed their ‘sales’ staff (or whatever you want to call people giving demos and answering questions) are not incentivised to make sales, but maybe performance is still measured, either individually or on a location basis. It’s not your job to fix their internal broken processes but if you were genuinely pleased with the service you had and feel they were as interested in you before you placed an order as they seem now they want your code, then I can’t see them having the number being a problem.

Given that the RN number is generated during the ordering process, it is surely already linked to the account!? Why are they requesting this?

When they next call, just ask them why "to link to the account" and "what the benefit is for everyone".

No harm in asking. If they gave me an open and honest answer, like sales targets, I'd actually let them.

Reactions: Chemist
Tesla have always claimed their ‘sales’ staff (or whatever you want to call people giving demos and answering questions) are not incentivised to make sales, but maybe performance is still measured, either individually or on a location basis. It’s not your job to fix their internal broken processes but if you were genuinely pleased with the service you had and feel they were as interested in you before you placed an order as they seem now they want your code, then I can’t see them having the number being a problem.

I am like 99.999% sure that the above is what the OP experienced. The in person staff do have targets. Also, they (the in person staff) become the "SA" if they link it as one they helped with, vs when you order from home or on your own, and get the random call center.

In the US anyway, I would be 100% sure this is what happened, but I knocked a small percentage off because I dont know for a fact its the same in the UK (but I think it is).

I am with George on this. The sales centre will be being measured on their conversion rate from test drive to sales. A corporate thing rather than the dealership and salesman bonuses we would have been aware of in ICE cars.

In my case I got excellent service from the Aberdeen Sales Centre and a nominated Sales Advisor. I placed the order the next day and when I got the phone call later to enquire whether I was happy with the experience and if any questions arose was happy to confirm I had placed an order.

I found it very refreshing after years of standard ICE dealership experiences!

I
Did that person ask for your RN?
I think they did - although I can't accurately recall. I do recall going into another Sales Centre later and asking about progress and giving then the RN number and up came a page showing where and when it would arrive - including that it was on a vessel that Mr Miserable did not have listed at that point!

Back in the mists of time when I placed an online order for M3LR in April 2020 (with nearest collection from West Drayton - 75 miles away) I inquired about a test drive and was allocated one in June 2020 at their then new distribution depot in Southampton docks.

After the test drive (intended to check if I'd made a mistake in ordering an untried vehicle) I was chatting with the guy there and mentioned I would be collecting from West Drayton - he said they were now open for collecting at Southampton so he asked and I gave him my RN and three months later I was able to collect from the Southampton depot instead - just 4 miles from home :)