TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this rust or just dirt?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TheWatcher, Aug 30, 2020.

1. TheWatcher

TheWatcher New Member

First time poster, long time lurker/ reader. Love the community and looking to join the fun of owning a Tesla. I found a possible dream car 2017 Mod S 75D. It's pretty loaded expect for FUSC but I can live, my issue is, when looking at the photos, it seems like there is some kind of rust or dirt on the driver side door chrome and a wheel well that seems to be tampered with.

Can the experts of the community give me a second look before I pull the trigger and wait a month to receive my car? lol

Link2017 Model S | Tesla

ee4edefe-049c-4976-adcf-e8cc45621054.jpg
    92626903-0662-4dda-8117-5a846e993b7e.jpg

Attached Files:

2. VaztheDad

VaztheDad Member

Considering it's all over the lower rocker panel as well, I'm going venture to say it's dirt. I'm fairly certain that metal is aluminum, thus wouldn't rust.

3. TheWatcher

TheWatcher New Member

Thank you. I was thinking the same, but whenever tesla spotlights a "thing" on a used car, its usually cause for concern.

4. slainla

slainla Member

Should just be dirt or rubbed of coating. I believe the chrome piece is just chrome coating over plastic.

As for the fender, looks like some bends to it. The side looks good though so maybe some previous body work where the part was repaired and not replaced. Or maybe just PDR.