Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this sound normal? [Update: yes, it’s normal]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if you guys get this sound or have heard it before. Sometimes when getting in my car I get this fairly loud double click type sound. I have linked 2 videos that have the sound in it below. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

When my car wakes up there’s a double thunk. Hard to say if it’s louder or quieter than yours though. It is certainly noticeable in the quiet garage.

My last car used to always make a low rumble, a metallic squink, and a galonck every time I got in. Used to drive me nuts. Yada, yada, yada, I got a Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: z06tim
Ya, I have a pretty “heavy” sounding double clunk sound too. I’ll have it occasionally when the car is asleep and I just adjust the charge limit from my phone. I hear a click at the plug (NEMA 14-50) or Tesla mobile adapter and a large clunk somewhere from the rear of the car...

Reactions: z06tim
It is the relay connecting the battery pack to the car. The main battery is disconnected while the car is asleep. It runs on the 12v lead acid battery. When you wake up the car it connects the main battery pack, that is the noise you hear from the rear of the car.

It also will connect the main battery from time to time when it is asleep to recharge the 12v battery if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: z06tim and Electrph
It is the relay connecting the battery pack to the car. The main battery is disconnected while the car is asleep. It runs on the 12v lead acid battery. When you wake up the car it connects the main battery pack, that is the noise you hear from the rear of the car.

It also will connect the main battery from time to time when it is asleep to recharge the 12v battery if needed.
From the sound i am hearing with mine in person i would say it is most likely this ... it sounds to me as a heavy circuit engaging or disengaging
Or for someone who has not heard this electrical sound before as if a large deadbolt is engaging or disengaging
Or the Law and Order sound slowed down a lil ;)

Last edited: