Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this supercharge speed normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cold day in Toronto let me just say that. I drive about an hour navigating to a super charger so I get battery prep. Arrive with 18% according to both stats and the car. Plug in and it tops out at 75kw. By 27% I’m done to 50kw and now 20 mins in I’m at 46kw and 51%. Doesn’t feel all that super. No Regen dots and no dots on the far right side either. Surely 46kw can’t be normal at half charge.

Are you at the urban supercharger in Toronto? If so then they top out at 76kw. I’m also in Toronto and it’s cold af right now and charging will be super limited so not surprising
yes, that is what I was going to ask as well. Lots of variables. Temperature, state of charge, battery pack age, charger "sharing" on original type sc, and other things I am forgetting to mention.

Cold day in Toronto let me just say that. I drive about an hour navigating to a super charger so I get battery prep. Arrive with 18% according to both stats and the car. Plug in and it tops out at 75kw. By 27% I’m done to 50kw and now 20 mins in I’m at 46kw and 51%. Doesn’t feel all that super. No Regen dots and no dots on the far right side either. Surely 46kw can’t be normal at half charge.

For how much of that drive did you see the "preconditioning battery for Supercharging" message? The battery pack weighs up to 1,000 lbs (depending on your model), which takes a long time to warm up from cold. Fastest Supercharging only occurs on a very warm battery (40C or higher). I've found that preconditioning often doesn't get it warm enough on the first Supercharge of the day, even if it was preconditioning for a long time prior to plugging in.

It’s SR+ with the new software. I drove about 45 mins prior to arriving. Had the sc in the navigation from the beginning and the message about preconditioning was on for about 30 mins. Man I’d like to just once charge this thing and it be as they brag about. Instead there’s always some reason one didn’t account for as to why things aren’t working right. I’m making a supercharging checklist. Problem is if I drive for 2 hours before arriving someone will still say the battery is cold.

It shouldn’t be. The whole point of the conditioning is supposed to help this. Plus add the warm up drive. Are you saying it’s just not possible to charge at a top speed in the winter?

Preconditioning helps but it isn't going to make the car charge at the full peak rate for your first charging session in very cold weather. It should get it to about 50% of the peak rate or perhaps a bit more, which is right in line with what you experienced. Subsequent charges will be faster, which is nice on long trips. Once winter is over, you'll be off to the races.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It shouldn’t be. The whole point of the conditioning is supposed to help this. Plus add the warm up drive. Are you saying it’s just not possible to charge at a top speed in the winter?

It likely depends on the temperature. The rate of heat loss from an object is proportional to the difference in temperature between it and the outside world. So the colder it is outside, the faster the rate of heat loss. There is a maximum amount of heat that can be pumped into this system from the motors (something like 7kW), so as the system warms up, heat loss will increase, and eventually an equilibrium will be reached and the pack will no longer continue to warm up. So it may be that your battery can never reach the optimal temperature in extremely cold temperatures, even with 7kW being pumped into it.

That being said, if you do not receive maximum rate at a Supercharger, and it's very far off the max rate, it's usually worth trying a different one right away, if you think your battery is warm.

Last edited:
It likely depends on the temperature. The rate of heat loss from an object is proportional to the difference in temperature between it and the outside world. So the colder it is outside, the faster the rate of heat loss. There is a maximum amount of heat that can be pumped into this system from the motors (something like 7-9kW), so as things warm up, eventually an equilibrium will be reached. So it may be that your battery can never reach the optimal temperature in extremely cold temperatures.

That being said, if you do not receive maximum rate at a Supercharger, and it's very far off the max rate, it's usually worth trying a different one right away.

Spot on. Regarding maximum heat production, it's about 3.5 kW per motor, so a SR+ will take longer to warm up than a dual motor car.

Spot on. Regarding maximum heat production, it's about 3.5 kW per motor, so a SR+ will take longer to warm up than a dual motor car.

Thanks. I wonder how much heat loss is from the plastic pipes with coolant in them and how much is from the battery itself? Someone should get some foam pipe insulation and put it on all the pipes! There would be no way to measure the improvement though. My guess is that it's a significant source of loss but maybe the battery surface itself dominates.

Reactions: coconutboy84