Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this Supercharging throttling normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 S70 with 82k miles. Maybe 15% of those miles are from a supercharger, the rest are at home on a Wall Connector at 32 amps 22 miles per hour charge rate, gentle in other words. New I would see 234 miles and now I still see 226 at 100%. I’m happy with such low degradation but I’m not happy about what I’m seeing for my rate of charging at Superchargers. I used to see 110KW briefly then it’d drop to 90KW and hold there for a long while then 80 and 70 and I’d usually finish topping off around 60KW (I think. I seldom charged fully on a road trip). Now I start at 40kW almost regardless of my state of charge and drop from there. I’ve tested this on hot days (100+) cold days (60 degrees) new Superchargers 3rd generation and old Superchargers. Same story. Today I wanted to test it out as it was 72 degrees. I navigated 16 miles to the closest Supercharger and the car notified me it was preheating the batter for “fast charging”. This is what I got when I plugged in. Anyone know if this is a new software throttling, is it my BMS protecting fragile cells, is it Tesla protecting the battery since it’s still under warranty? I have free supercharging for life, is this to discourage the use of the system? Thoughts? This does not make me happy that my time at a supercharger is more than doubled as a result of this. My Cybertruck is still a long ways off and I want to take some long trips with my S but this makes those long trips much longer
8874B1B3-A3F8-4164-B67B-BD8D1D1978CF.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Lots of speculation questions.

Setup a service appointment, record all your notes, and submit your concerns. Let the service centers give you an official response, then counter asking for specifics as to why your charging speeds have degraded.
They won’t answer other than to say “it’s normal”.

Seriously, go read the 500+ page thread on the topic of SC throttling.

I’m getting the impression this is a dead end road if I pursue anything official. I mentioned this to my buddy who has a 2015 P85D same @ mileage. He raced down to his closest Supercharger to test his car and was way down on battery level (like 13 miles). He boasted on text his 74KW charge rate once plugged in. Then at about 40% he boasted again at 72KW. At 60% he sends me another text showing 48KW with the confused ‍ emoji. At 40kW a short time later my phones rings “so...what’s the deal with this?” I’m thinking this is more of a fleet thing now. I’ll go and read the lengthy thread (thanks for that everyone), it sounds like this dead horse has been beaten enough.

I would test this at multiple chargers (could be a bad cabinet)

For example. We've supposedly blown past (3,300kWh per TeslaFi) the "cap" for throttling (2,750kWh) on our BTX5 MX Raven and have yet to see consistent throttling. Still charges as fast as the day we got it maxing out at 130KW, tapering at ~35-45% and staying around 120-130 minus SOC until it hits ~80%.

To be fair, we do have the most recent revision of the BTX5 however this is still known to be a pack type suceptible to this.

This sounds normal. It seems 'throttling' is limited to approx SOC + KW ~ 110 for the older cars. Although his first rate is either higher soc than mentioned or speed was still ramping up. 40% + 72kw = 112 60% + 48kw = 108
110 less SOC isn’t ideal but a damn sight better than some have been seeing. If it was limited to this I could probably live with it long term down the road.

Have you tried to heat up thr battery before hitting thr supercharger? I noticed if I drive my car pretty hard prior to getting to thr supercharging station, it charges faster even at low SOC. But if I just left the garage in thr morning to charge, it can start pretty slow. Finally check if it is one of those sharing stalls. I.e. up to 150kw stations. If there is a car right beside you, you will experience slower charging. Good luck in your test and hopefully it is not your battery. Getting tesla to acknowledge battery issues is a pain the ass. They know they have defective batteries for entire fleet, but just going to say it is normal to help their bottom line right now. Just check s85 charging throttle to prevent fires, 90D degradations, supercharging throttling, etc. Plenty of issues.

Finally check if it is one of those sharing stalls. I.e. up to 150kw stations. If there is a car right beside you, you will experience slower charging.
I appreciate you are trying to help, but this can be misleading. There are many sites where the paired stalls are not beside each other.

It's each number that corresponds to one of the charging units, and A and B share that. So some places have the physical layout in order like this:
1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

So 1A and 1B will be sharing, but they are in parking spaces 4 apart from each other. So do pay attention to the stall names labeled on the pedestals.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Welcome to the new normal for Tesla. They will likely be throttling charging performance of all cars (including 3/Y) as they age, and may even wall off access to a part of the battery, effectively robbing you of capacity, as they have done to many S and X owners. Same thing will happen to your Cybertruck.
Tesla gonna Tesla but for the time being they hold the title for best in show as far as BEV go. I really wish BMW would bring the iX3 over to NA and eventually an iX5.

going to share my story: have a 2012 Model S... started experiencing really slow supercharging and rapid decrease in range. Ugh, 'batterygate and chargegate' for sure, right?. I lived with the disappointment for about a year. For kicks, I thought it would be informative for me to validate this diagnosis by checking the CANBUS data and was expecting a capped cell voltage on TMSpy (or ScanMyTesla)- in particular because my 8 year warranty is weeks away from expiring.. it really was super easy to hook up my car and get the data.
I get the data, and I find out that one cell module is malfunctioning... it was a module failure, NOT batterygate. Made an appointment with Tesla, shared my data (got weird looks), and Tesla agreed the battery needed to be replaced.
My advice, get your battery data on your own and understand what's going on...

going to share my story: have a 2012 Model S... started experiencing really slow supercharging and rapid decrease in range. Ugh, 'batterygate and chargegate' for sure, right?. I lived with the disappointment for about a year. For kicks, I thought it would be informative for me to validate this diagnosis by checking the CANBUS data and was expecting a capped cell voltage on TMSpy (or ScanMyTesla)- in particular because my 8 year warranty is weeks away from expiring.. it really was super easy to hook up my car and get the data.
I get the data, and I find out that one cell module is malfunctioning... it was a module failure, NOT batterygate. Made an appointment with Tesla, shared my data (got weird looks), and Tesla agreed the battery needed to be replaced.
My advice, get your battery data on your own and understand what's going on...
That is interesting, how did you qualify one module defective? Can you share some more info?