TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this the beginning of HW1 being cast aside?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Jrogville, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I jut got my 8.1 update. It consisted of adding favorites to the nav system that I no longer use because it's so bad if you're not using interstates. The other improvement was to add a favorites station for the streaming audio, which I don't use because my iPhone does it so much better with the services I already use.

As you can tell, 8.1 didn't make a big impact on me. I had hoped there would also be some improvement to the autopilot software for HW1, like previously the improvement to radar that let it see the car ahead of the car in front of you. I'm wondering if Tesla, now that it has achieved parity of HW2 with HW1, will now abandoned any further development of HW1. Even though it was previously better than HW2, it still can use improvement. Like how it passes semis, and refinement of the algorithms for how it adjusts speed in adaptive cruise control.

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I feel like the car brakes too much when someone pulls-into my lane in front of me. For instance, if I'm going 70mph and a car going 80mph switches into my lane several car lengths in front of me (following distance setting doesn't seem to make a difference), the autopilot brakes but that car is going faster than me so a human wouldn't brake in that situation. I actually push the accelerator when that happens because there's no need to brake. The car should be smart enough with the radar to know that the car is going faster and will not require braking.

Hopefully they will tune that in a future release for HW1. I wonder if HW2 already handles that better.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

HW1 has been incrementally updated until its promise is achieved:

Limited Hands-Free On-Ramp to Off-Ramp

HW1 still needs more fine tuning so it won't be abandoned for a long time from now.

4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

HW1 is performing very well right now, and is second to none on the market. I think Tesla's primary focus right now is getting HW2 to perform as well as HW1 (and beyond), but honestly, HW1 not improving in the short term is not the worst thing in the world.

• Like x 5
  5. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I can't say I was surprised at no changes to HW1 AP. With all and sundry loudly complaining about the slow pace of bringing HW2 AP software up to parity with HW1, I would not have expected one minute of code writing time to be spent on anything else.

• Like x 1
  6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

HW1 has not been abandoned. Tesla is focusing on bringing HW2 to full parity (there's still a way to go — closer than ever, but not there yet).

That said, there's not necessarily a lot left that can be squeezed out of HW1. I expect it will continue to be refined, but the focus from here on out will be on Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving. After all, there are a whole lot more Model 3s on order than there will ever be HW1.

7. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I found it depends on your gap setting whether it would break. If you have it on 7 and a car cuts into that space, it will slow down to maintain the gap. I have noticed on Hw2 IMO handles the following of the vehicle in front almost mimics how i would follow manually including coming to a complete stop. I noticed it handling better than the Hw1 loaners I have had.

8. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

I'm in the camp that HW1 is terrific with a very occasional hiccup in certain situations that I'm now well aware of. I also find NAV to be solid with the benefits of the big screen outweighing occasional slow screen refresh.

I use EV planner for long trips and have enough statistical info from Teslafi on my routes between FL& NC to no longer worry about travel.

Now, if you want to crab about USB music or XM radio GUI then i'm right there with you.....

9. voltaren

voltaren Member

Nope. Pretty annoying actually. EAP/HW2 will slam on the brakes at times. The overhead sign issue has gotten better for me though.

10. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I think there will be some improvements, but nothing drastic. I personally feel like AP1 was cast aside a long time ago, the new AP2 and Tesla splitting with M.E. was the external beginning of it. Kind of sucks, but try not to think about it too much. :p

11. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Yup! Well said.

12. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

I think there will be one semi-major release to AP1, which is coming once AP2 is sufficiently mature and/or when Tesla releases the real 8.1 update with the new kernel and stuff. This will add the promised things to the on-ramp, off-ramp part of the journey. Beyond that, I am not expecting much for AP1. It will get some fleet learning, some smaller fixes, but mostly it will slowly walk into the sunset similar to classic Teslas. Tesla has no interest in taking risks with AP1 anymore, so they may even limit it more and more. This is my speculation, of course.

In the end, no matter how cool Tesla updates are, they mostly affect the cars with the latest hardware iteration, because Tesla's primary interest is updating the system they sell at that time. Updating older cars just doesn't make much sense, and Tesla has shown to have limited resources for updates, so they will mostly get stuff that comes as a side product of updating the latest car systems... IMO my P85 actually because a worse car after the 7.x and 8.x updates, that mostly just took away stuff on a non-AP car.

I wonder if an even bigger break may not happen once the big screen hardware is upgraded at some point, leaving old ones even more dramatically behind... As long as your car has components shared with the latest Teslas sold, some updates for those are to be expected. But once those components are no longer shared, expect IMO a dramatic decrease in updates.

13. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

What I would hope for wouldn't be such improvements but rather refinements. As others have said, speed reaction to other cars could be smoother. I would also hope that Tesla would refine they way auto steer responds to passing wide loads, or big trucks hugging the center line. This is something that's needed for both AP1 and 2. Again, my hope is that once that subtlety is achieved for AP2, that it won't be too big a technology burden to also incorporate it into AP1.

14. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

By the way, speaking of software upgrades, I was just watching an old YouTube review of the Model X that was still using System 7. I find I like the look of that version better than System 8. Seems a little more shaded and not as bright. I think Tesla could stand to make the system a little more three dimensional. That probably goes against the current minimalist esthetic, but I liked it better.

15. BLKTSLA

BLKTSLA Member

@Jrogville - I was going to make a video on what I believe is happening with AP1 and AP2 but in the meantime here is the short explanation.

AP2 has taken priority within Tesla due to them trying to get to FSD in production first. Additionally, bringing AP2 to parity with AP1 is an investor milestone that needed to be hit along with releasing 8.1. Seeing as they had setbacks meaning AP2 wasn't progressing as fast as they had hoped they pulled a hail Mary and used the 8.1 release to update AP2 and hit both milestones.

That said, there is still work being done on AP1 as 8.1 initially was supposed to be a further enhanced visual UI as well as full on-ramp to off-ramp autopilot in which AP1 would be able to maneuver to the exit lane and take the exit.

So don't worry the install base for AP1 is much larger than AP2 at the moment so they haven't abandoned it just yet. I think this thread is going to be more applicable once Model 3 hits volume and the combined S, X, and 3 all on AP2 vastly out number AP1 cars....

16. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Thanks for the input, BLKTSLA, that gives me some hope at least for the near future. Look forward to your video.