Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is This The First Used 2.5 For Sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definately not a sport, in addition to the missing badging the seats are missing the sport logo and I think the door pulls are black for the sport as well. It also has a single DIN stereo unit, a standard interior and seats, and of course the base wheels as you mentioned. Since Fusion Red is a standard color, this is actually the first completely stripped down, absolute no frills Roadster I've ever seen. After the $7,500 rebate and possibly other rebates, the car cost about $100,000 or maybe less if state discounts are applicable. Not much of a discount, but, maybe too late to get a new one! Nice to see its value holding up and hopefully that's the trend.

Listing says "Sport" but doesn't show the forged wheels or "Roadster Sport" badge on rear...
VIN indicates non-Sport too:

5YJRE1A12A1001060
_______1_________

It should be a 3 there if it were a Sport.

I have seen other listings that said Sport on the non-Sport. Honest mistake or bait-and-switch...? hard to say.

7713-05.06.jpg

Does the radio have a removable faceplate.

...does anyone know what chassis number was the last 2.0?

I think 2.5 was announced around July 2010 and VINs were past 900.
At the January, 2010 Detroit auto show they exhibited "VIN #1000" which has a 2.0 front end:
Tesla Roadster No. 1,000 Hits Detroit Auto Show, Will Be Sold for Charity
...DETROIT — A Millennial White Tesla Roadster Sport bearing VIN no. 1,000 is on display at the 2010 Detroit Auto Show...
I wonder though if they did some unusual VIN allocation to get VIN#1000 on car #1000? That car might be the highest VIN #'ed 2.0, and it may have been assigned a VIN that was about 6 months ahead of schedule.

Doug_G said his VIN#919, delivered well after #1000, is a "late 2.0". He also said "the day my car arrived they announced the 2.5".
So the 2.5 transition seemed to happen in the high 900s and/or low 1000s. Does anyone have a NorthAmerican 2.5 with VIN 09XX ?

Doug_G said his VIN#919, delivered well after #1000, is a "late 2.0". He also said "the day my car arrived they announced the 2.5".
So the 2.5 transition seemed to happen in the high 900s and/or low 1000s. Does anyone have a NorthAmerican 2.5 with VIN 09XX ?

[email protected] got his 2.0 after I did, and it was VIN 938. (After his car was smucked by a hit-and-run driver he got the body upgraded to 2.5 style.)

I think new orders after July 1, 2010 were slated to be 2.5s. (With the exception of already built cars sold off as the last of the 2.0s).
I think the first customer ordered 2.5's started getting delivered around September, 2010.
Vin #1026 reported being a 2.5
I think the stores got some demo 2.5s before customers did (around August 2010), so perhaps the earliest 2.5s were store demo cars.

Last edited:
I think 2.5 was announced around July 2010 and VINs were past 900.
At the January, 2010 Detroit auto show they exhibited "VIN #1000" which has a 2.0 front end:
Tesla Roadster No. 1,000 Hits Detroit Auto Show, Will Be Sold for Charity
I wonder though if they did some unusual VIN allocation to get VIN#1000 on car #1000? That car might be the highest VIN #'ed 2.0, and it may have been assigned a VIN that was about 6 months ahead of schedule.

I know that there are some 2.0 roadsters in the 900's that were demos that got the 2.5 updates (mainly the bumpers). These were sold as 2.5's. All of these were the Sport models.

that roadster has been on ebay for a while now

There are currently 4 roadsters on ebay - I've never seen so many! At least two of them have been listed and relisted several times The 2008 Blue (# 5YJRE11B581000309) is attracting some bids and doesn't seem to have a reserve. With 10 hrs to go, it's at $76K.

Maybe we should start a sticky thread to keep track of where these cars are selling on ebay; would be a useful resource for current owners. In a few weeks I might even be a current owner myself (picks at fingernails, twitches nervously, etc.).

I have been looking for another Roadster as I have really grown accustomed to riding in the carpool lane solo. I do not want to rack up the miles on my current roadster and would rather purchase another one for my daily commute. There was one for 70k that I missed out on, hopefully there are a few more that pop up for that price!

VIN indicates non-Sport too:

5YJRE1A12A1001060
_______1_________

It should be a 3 there if it were a Sport.

I have seen other listings that said Sport on the non-Sport. Honest mistake or bait-and-switch...? hard to say.

I just had this car delivered to my house in Fresno on Monday, I am very excited to own this car. I made the deal over the phone assuming it was the sport, I knew the differences in price, but not really on what to look for. After I got the car I got home and realized it was not the sport, I called the dealer and he said it was yahoo's fault since the ad was posted there. I probably paid too much for the car, 79,500, but I LOVE it. By the time I bought it there was 715 miles on it. 1060 is a 2.5. Glad to be part of the club!