Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the last month of the model 3 reign before its slow death due to the "Y".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having second thoughts about my order for lr awd m3. It is obviously a beautiful, tech superior, performance machine, but in 2 years wilt still be relevant with the "Y", that by all accounts will dominate the ev market. Placing an order today for a lr awd model y, you would realistically be looking at 1 year until car in hand. On top of that no telling the production/ quality control issues for the 1st year of production.
Just thinking out loud......

I have no interest in a Model Y. It’s just a heavier and slower version of the Model 3. Not everyone wants an SUV. Tesla sold 300,000 Model 3’s last year worldwide. That’s a very small number, but it’s every one they were capable of producing. Just because the Model Y comes out does not mean that every sedan buyer now wants an SUV. There is plenty of room in the marketplace for both.

By the time you are close to getting your Y, you will start having second thoughts about perhaps waiting for the upcoming Cybertruck.

This is the way with Tesla. There is always something better/fresher coming just around the corner.

The 3 and Y have two different signatures. The 3 is low and sexy, compared to the Y. It is a sporty, great handling and image forward car that gives owners great pride of ownership.

The Y is the more versitile version of the 3. Not a classy sedan, but a capable small SUV.

Both have their place and each will find their market.

Same thing happened with the S and X. The X did not take away from the S, but is made for a different market. They have each gained their customers and currently sell at about the same rate.

Even if you buy a new 3 right now, in two years it will have superior tech, longer range, additional features etc.

If you feel you will enjoy your new Model 3, make the purchase and enjoy the ride.

I expect Model Y volumes to be relatively low for the first 8 months.

I’m expecting a slightly smoother launch than the 3’s July 2017 “launch” which didn’t turn into decent production until April 2018.

I expect The Y to ramp more smoothly, but not necessarily any faster overall.

Prove me wrong and we still win!

I think it likely that the model Y will divert some sales from the model 3. For anything under 70-80k, the M3 is the only game in town for now, but that will change when the MY is fully available. In today’s American market, most prefer an suv, so it will fill that hole and provide a solution for those who don’t like sedans. For those of us who prefer sedans, the M3 is there.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
We will have to see how quickly Tesla ramps up production on the Model Y. But right now Tesla is supply constrained on the Model 3 anyway. So I’m just not convinced that Model 3 sales will decline once the Model Y is available. I think both will sell well. If Tesla had the ability to produce 1 million Model 3’s per year then I might agree that sales could decline. But they are no where near that capacity yet.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think it likely that the model Y will divert some sales from the model 3. For anything under 70-80k, the M3 is the only game in town for now, but that will change when the MY is fully available. In today’s American market, most prefer an suv, so it will fill that hole and provide a solution for those who don’t like sedans. For those of us who prefer sedans, the M3 is there.
This. The Model S was the only game in town until the Model X came along, and Model S sales definitely dipped a bit after Model X production was in full swing, and I’m sure there are people who would have bought a Tesla SUV in 2012-2016 if it had been available but bought a Model S instead. But eventually things settled out and the two different vehicles had their buyers. I think something similar will happen with Model Y - it will definitely attract some previous Model 3 owners or people who considered Model 3, but the 3 will still have its following.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Not even close. This whole CUV thing is very, very American. In Europe (and the UK... sniff), people don't care as much at all. Then again, we really like our hatchbacks there and Tesla doesn't have one (no the S/X doesn't count). I'd love a Model 2 Performance hatchback. A boy can dream!

Reactions: house9