Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the Model 3 screaming bargain alternative?

Would you consider this alternative?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...due to my 2013 Volt needing to be replaced immediately (170k miles)
Can you share why the 2013 had to be replaced? At only 170K miles? Stats show this to be one of their most reliable vehicles (and I own a Chevy 2500HD Duramax, one of the least reliably rated, and its still going strong 11 1/2 years and 120k miles later, most of my cars I take to 200k+ miles).

The Ioniq's are California Only pure compliance cars last I checked, selling at full MSRP or higher in small numbers.

Here's what you get for your Ioniq EV money:

The hybrid has a 104-hp gasoline engine, a 43-hp electric motor. This is not additive or the Ioniq Hybrid would be much quicker.
The EV gets a 118-hp electric motor and an estimated 124-mile range.
The plug-in gets the gas engine, a 60-hp electric motor and 27 miles of electric-only. Why only 27? CARB raised the bar for PHEV's to be considered green vehicles. This is why Toyota had to release the Prime, and some German MFRs fell off the grid.

Volts have never had that issue. They have always wildly exceeded the minimum AER. More importantly, they can pass ALL the EPA tests on electricity, unlike the Prime, which omitted the EPA tests that require gas to achieve their brochure numbers.

But why do folk enjoy driving Volts?

It's the best chassis system of the sub-$50k EV/EREVs. Chevrolet is a world leading chassis designer.
Every time I appear at an AutoX against a Model S, our Volts run very similar times. The Tesla has the tire, horsepower, and price advantage, but the nimble and well balanced Volt runs the same. I doubt anyone is going to be allowed by Hyundai to run their Ioniq against a Volt or Bolt on a closed course. Just saying.

Now how does the Ioniq present itself in the power food chain? Yes, a bit faster than the slowest 2018's sold, but certainly suffers from EcoFever. "I like slow cars because they save the planet. I don't like bicycles or mass transit because I make $100k+ a year!!!"

Well, certainly a Volt must suffer the same engineering trade-offs, right?
It pumps 161 SAE HP of pure electric thrust, second only to PHEV cars over $150,000 in All Electric Mode.
It is more than 1 second quicker to freeway speeds running on electricity than all 20mi+ PHEVs other than the i3 EREV (which has a 2cyl scooter engine with 2 gallons on board for emergencies). The Volt is as much as 60% quicker than some (Prime on electricity-only mode), with the All-Electric average being >33% quicker than it's competitors.

The Volt has been this way since 2010. In 2018, the Honda (Calif Only) has ALMOST caught the Volt. Not quite, but getting closer. Every other PHEV gets biitch slapped the Volt.

Wait. The isn't the Volt a Fookin' Slug?? Yes and no. When I show at an AutoX in a Volt it's fun and competitive for grocery getters and Model S's. It never loses it's composure, has good feel IMO, and is pretty well balanced.

However 0-60-0 in twisties is not life and death. Passing on a mountain road can be.
So lets see how long it takes for the Ioniq to respond to passing situation where it's life and death, 50-70mph passing in Drive:

Prius Prime - 7.0 seconds Gas/Electric. 616 feet required at sea level cool air.
BMW 330e - 6.8 seconds Gas/Electric. 597 feet required at sea level cool air.
Ioniq - 6.4 seconds Gas/Electric. 563 feet required at sea level cool air.
Volt - 4.7 seconds EV. 413 feet all DA.
Bolt - 3.5 seconds EV. 308 feet all DA.
Model S 70D - 3.1 seconds EV. 273 sec all DA.

Reactions: emptyspaces
hi, first time poster here. i'm in the same boat. put my reservation down and now getting antsy. thanks for the alternative. never heard of it, but looks interesting. from what i've been reading in the news, the m3 is having lot of build issues. i'm thinking of canceling my reservation and looking into other (cheaper) options.

Are you kidding? Having "a lot" of build issues means that you have defined "a lot", and I doubt we know the percentages, even. As to "(cheaper)" options, just remember "You get what you pay for... if you're lucky."

If you're thinking of canceling, I wonder if you know the differences between the ionique and the 3. Or don't care. It bothers me that Tesla puts out a cheaper option and then people want a cheaper option. The cheaper option is to get a Toyota or Honda, but they sell for about what a 3 costs, so what's your cheaper option, and can you compare apples to rocks?

Keep in mind the Ioniq PHEV (incomparable to M3 on any level imo) does NOT have a pure EV mode. Unless you drive with an egg under the pedal, only on surface streets (no freeway above ~70mph), and don't use the heater; the gas motor will kick in at some point. This makes it a non starter for me unfortunately.

If Tesla keeps pushing the M3 SR deliveries out of the full US $7500 tax credit, I too am looking at PHEV alternatives. New Volt gen2 can be had for $18K + TTL nowadays, but sadly I went to look at it and sadly don't fit in it. Prius Prime does not have enough EV only range. And the Clarity has a cone of ugly around it I just can't get past.

Exac. There’s a world of difference between the Volt and BMW i3 and every other plugin hybrid that can’t accelerate at full power on electric only.

The Ioniq's are California Only pure compliance cars last I checked, selling at full MSRP or higher in small numbers.

Here's what you get for your Ioniq EV money:

The hybrid has a 104-hp gasoline engine, a 43-hp electric motor. This is not additive or the Ioniq Hybrid would be much quicker.
The EV gets a 118-hp electric motor and an estimated 124-mile range.
The plug-in gets the gas engine, a 60-hp electric motor and 27 miles of electric-only. Why only 27? CARB raised the bar for PHEV's to be considered green vehicles. This is why Toyota had to release the Prime, and some German MFRs fell off the grid.

Volts have never had that issue. They have always wildly exceeded the minimum AER. More importantly, they can pass ALL the EPA tests on electricity, unlike the Prime, which omitted the EPA tests that require gas to achieve their brochure numbers.

But why do folk enjoy driving Volts?

It's the best chassis system of the sub-$50k EV/EREVs. Chevrolet is a world leading chassis designer.
Every time I appear at an AutoX against a Model S, our Volts run very similar times. The Tesla has the tire, horsepower, and price advantage, but the nimble and well balanced Volt runs the same. I doubt anyone is going to be allowed by Hyundai to run their Ioniq against a Volt or Bolt on a closed course. Just saying.

Now how does the Ioniq present itself in the power food chain? Yes, a bit faster than the slowest 2018's sold, but certainly suffers from EcoFever. "I like slow cars because they save the planet. I don't like bicycles or mass transit because I make $100k+ a year!!!"

Well, certainly a Volt must suffer the same engineering trade-offs, right?
It pumps 161 SAE HP of pure electric thrust, second only to PHEV cars over $150,000 in All Electric Mode.
It is more than 1 second quicker to freeway speeds running on electricity than all 20mi+ PHEVs other than the i3 EREV (which has a 2cyl scooter engine with 2 gallons on board for emergencies). The Volt is as much as 60% quicker than some (Prime on electricity-only mode), with the All-Electric average being >33% quicker than it's competitors.

The Volt has been this way since 2010. In 2018, the Honda (Calif Only) has ALMOST caught the Volt. Not quite, but getting closer. Every other PHEV gets biitch slapped the Volt.

Wait. The isn't the Volt a Fookin' Slug?? Yes and no. When I show at an AutoX in a Volt it's fun and competitive for grocery getters and Model S's. It never loses it's composure, has good feel IMO, and is pretty well balanced.

However 0-60-0 in twisties is not life and death. Passing on a mountain road can be.
So lets see how long it takes for the Ioniq to respond to passing situation where it's life and death, 50-70mph passing in Drive:

Prius Prime - 7.0 seconds Gas/Electric. 616 feet required at sea level cool air.
BMW 330e - 6.8 seconds Gas/Electric. 597 feet required at sea level cool air.
Ioniq - 6.4 seconds Gas/Electric. 563 feet required at sea level cool air.
Volt - 4.7 seconds EV. 413 feet all DA.
Bolt - 3.5 seconds EV. 308 feet all DA.
Model S 70D - 3.1 seconds EV. 273 sec all DA.

Yup, all this. I picked up a 2013 Volt while I wait for my Model 3, all the other PHEVs are a joke. Highly suggest it as a in-between EV car.

Also, Horsetown USA, cool :) my fiance lived there, mother still does.

They are actually brand new worldwide platforms, most rolled out overseas before seeing the US market.

Lost me there did not read the rest of your post (well, except for the 2010 model year Volt lol).
Ioniq EVs for US are CA only, Hybrids are 10? state or some other distribution. Very few exist. 11 EV, 134 PHEV, 2,600 Hybrid for USA.

Automotive Model Years are not based on January 1st except Tesla. Some 2019 MY cars are already for sale. Some 2014's were not available until August 2014. Normally though, sales start Sept-Nov of the previous year.
The MY 2011 Volt began in late 2010.
The MY 2017 Bolt began in late 2016.

Ioniqs do not have normal 2018 power levels for their price point.
They are 'common' PHEVs. In other words, they must have the gasoline engine running to obtain rated power and run correctly.

Don't believe me, drive one.

Not interested in the Ioniq Hybrid.
The Ioniq Electric though is a great BEV. Actually when it comes to affordable BEVs with decent enough range to be a possible daily driver for me, the Ioniq is my second favorite right after the e-Golf. Great value for money too.

EV has a tiny electric motor. Perpetuates the myth that 'Green' cars are slugs.

You can also get a pre-owned Tesla Model S, it has a driving range of 218 miles and can accelerate from standstill to 62 miles per hour in just 5.5 seconds so Tesla Model S is still the best electric luxury sedan that you can buy even if you get free on bond for a lower price. BMW i3 car with a 94 A/h, 33 kWh lithium-ion battery. With a denser battery pack, the car’s 170 horsepower engine that produces 215 Nm of torque can keep the vehicle running for up to 114 miles. the latest model also comes with a more efficient charging technology as a result with an eyewall box set up the i3 s battery can be charged to 80% of its capacity in less than three hours. In this BMW i3, you can enjoy the agile driving experience and the 0 to 60 mph in just 7.0 seconds. There are many alternatives of Tesla Model 3 which you can buy such as BMW i3.